[accesscomp] Re: Fw: Digital Ready TV Radio Alternatives

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:11:06 -0600

Regarding your comments, Mike and Scott, looking at the following Wikipedia article is instructive and lends strong support to the argument I was making yesterday about problems when the radio is moving and reception problems in fringe areas. There is also a brief reference to reception problems in rural areas as well. You will see some of the material in the following quote. Scott, you appear to be arguing by analogy between the digital radio service and digital television service. It appears that the method of digitization is different and the frequences os most stations are very different. I don't claim to have the technical knowledge to do more than rely on good sources of information and on my inferences from what I've observed myself since using a digital converter box. I remain very skeptical that a portable radio will receive digital television adequately when the radio is moving. Here is the link to the Wikipedia article and a quote from the text:

Before presenting the quote, I'll make one comment about the channel 6 radio reception question. There is an interesting bit of information in this article that indicates that one station in New York State is considering operating a transmitter for audio on the channel 6 frequency so those listening during drive time can still receive the station. It appears that in areas where channel 6 was available, many people used this service. I would expect this number to be much greater than those using TV radios to receive television audio. There is, evidently, a means to transmit an audio signal that won't interfere with the digital uses of the frequency.

Gene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_transition_in_the_United_States#Loss_of_service

A major concern is that the broadcast technology used to transmit ATSC signals
called
8VSB
has problems receiving signal inside buildings and in urban areas, largely
due to
multipath
reception issues which cause
ghosting
and
fading
on analog images, but can lead to intermittent signal or no reception at all
on ATSC programs.
[28]
DTV broadcasts exhibit a
digital cliff
effect, by which viewers will receive either a perfect signal or no signal
at all with little or no middle ground. Digital transmissions do contain
additional data bits to provide
error correction
for a finite number of
bit errors
; once signal quality degrades beyond that point, recovery of the original
digital signal becomes impossible, and the image on the screen freezes, or
blinks back and forth to totally blank black.

The maximum power for
DTV broadcast classes
is also substantially lower; one-fifth of the legal limits for the former
full-power analog services. This is because there are only eight different
states in which an 8VSB signal can be in at any one moment, thus like all
digital transmissions, very little signal is required at the receiver in
order to decode it. Nonetheless, this limit is often too low for many stations
to reach many rural areas, which was an alleged benefit in the FCC's choice
of ATSC and 8VSB over worldwide-standard
DVB-T
and its
COFDM
modulation.
Additionally, without the
hierarchical modulation
of DVB, signal loss is complete, and there is no switch to a lower resolution
before this occurs. Even if power limits were increased, it would not solve
the multipath issue however.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>