[accesscomp] FW: 10 sounds that make us miss the olden days of tech, Dan's tip for Tuesday August 26 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 07:38:00 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:54 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: 10 sounds that make us miss the olden days of tech, Dan's tip for
Tuesday August 26 2014

10 sounds that make us miss the olden days of tech

By  <http://www.digitaltrends.com/users/mgokey/> Malarie Gokey - August 24,
2014

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/10-tech-noises-dont-hear-anymore/?utm_ca
mpaign=trueAnthem%3A%20New%20Content%20%28Feed%29 <http://www.digitaltrends.
com/mobile/10-tech-noises-dont-hear-anymore/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Ne
w%20Content%20%28Feed%29&utm_content=bJl0pO&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source
=twitter#!bJuPtR>
&utm_content=bJl0pO&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#!bJuPtR

These days, technology is eerily quiet. You have complete control over which
sounds you hear and  when you hear them. If you want to silence your
smartphone, all it takes is the flip of a virtual  switch or the press of a
touchscreen button.

Remember when technology was loud and obnoxious?

We at Digital Trends sure do (at least some of us do) and while many of the
sounds from days past  annoyed us to no end back in the day, it’s so fun to
reminisce now that we’re rid of them forever.  Thanks to YouTube and the
amazing archive that is the Internet, we’ve put together this charming
list of antiquated tech sounds.

WARNING: While reading this post you may suffer from traumatic flashbacks
and fits of nostalgia.

1. Typewriter

The oldest dinosaur whose sounds we’ve unearthed is one that has been
popular since the 1860s and  alive in some incarnation since the 1570s. The
typewriter enjoyed more than 100 years of  uninterrupted domination in the
lives of journalists and writers everywhere before finally being  displaced
by computers in the 1980s and 90s. Of course, if you’ve ever ventured into
your parents’  basement or gone to a flea market in Brooklyn, you’ve seen
a typewriter in person and maybe even  used one. If you get real sad,
there’s always Tom Hanks’ viral Hanx Writer typewriter app on iOS  for
those of you who long for the era of clacking keys, ink ribbons, and
whiteout.

Related:  Tom Hanks made a Typewriter app for iPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MNWFua7Fg

2. Rotary phone

If you were around in 1960s through the 80s, you probably grew up dialing
your best friend’s digits  into this slow-moving wheel. The rotary phone
first arrived in the 1890′s and became popular in  1900s. For the next 60
odd years, people went through the painstaking process of entering seven to
nine numbers into the rotary dial. There was a lot of waiting involved, so
it was a good thing  calling 911 only required three swipes (though it seems
unfortunate that folks had to wait for the  9 to go round).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtHDFE0SQQ

3. Busy signal

Remember when people actually had land lines and sometimes the signal was
busy? Then you had to  hear this horrible sound for what seemed like
forever. And then you’d have to try calling again,  and again, and again
until it stopped.

3. Busy signal

Remember when people actually had land lines and sometimes the signal was
busy? Then you had to  hear this horrible sound for what seemed like
forever. And then you’d have to try calling again,  and again, and again
until it stopped.

15 Minutes of North American Busy Signal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_aiy9fhZY

4. Pager beep

Before there were text messages, there was the pager. First used to call
doctors to New York City  hospitals in the 1950′s the pager quickly became
the ultimate device for businessmen on the go and  the tech savvy. Then, in
the 1990s, hip-hop culture picked up the pager and glamorized it. Ice  Cube,
Destiny’s Child, and other major acts referenced pagers in their songs.
Pagers were so cool  and so annoying. Oddly enough, many doctors still use
them today. Remember this terrible sound?

Motorola minitor V fire pager alerting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUeTO_EJ5M

5. VCR rewind

We know it’s hard to believe, but yes, there were movies before Netflix.
Once upon a time you had  to go to actual movie theaters to watch anything
(gasp), but then the world got really advanced and  created the VCR and VHS
tape (by the way, VHS stands for Video  Home  System. Amazing right?!?). The
only bad part about the VHS was you had to rewind it when you were  done or
face the wrath of your older sibling when they popped it in the VCR a week
later and had to  wait a minute or two for the darn thing to rewind … and
they would wear out pretty fast. I think we  can agree that VCRs can stay in
the past.

5. VCR rewind

We know it’s hard to believe, but yes, there were movies before Netflix.
Once upon a time you had  to go to actual movie theaters to watch anything
(gasp), but then the world got really advanced and  created the VCR and VHS
tape (by the way, VHS stands for Video  Home  System. Amazing right?!?). The
only bad part about the VHS was you had to rewind it when you were  done or
face the wrath of your older sibling when they popped it in the VCR a week
later and had to  wait a minute or two for the darn thing to rewind … and
they would wear out pretty fast. I think we  can agree that VCRs can stay in
the past.

VCR cassette rewinding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKGFrHmDyG0

6. Floppy disk drive

Saving your class project on a floppy disk when everyone else had CDs was
not fun - ask any 90s/00s  kid who had cheapskate parents. But before floppy
discs became lame, they were the best and only  way to save and transfer
files from PC to PC. Up until Apple eschewed the floppy disc drive for the
CD-ROM drive, Floppy discs were the bees knees - even though the drives
sounded ridiculous while  reading the small discs (and unless you had an old
5-inch drive, they also were not floppy at all  even though the word floppy
was in the name).

The 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qz9a8kYYkA

7. CD skipping

If you were around in the 80s, you probably heard about CDs from your rich
friends. 90s kids may  have owned a cassette or two before their rooms
became full of CDs. Cassette tapes existed for a  very long time before CDs,
but once they arrived in the late 1970s, CDs took over quickly. Then  Apple
released the iPod, ending the reign of the CD with the MP3, which is now
being replaced by  the likes of Spotify and Pandora, but we digress. The
thing about CDs is that they’re delicate.  Scratch ‘em once and you’re
stuck cursing the world every time the CD skips right in the middle of  your
favorite song. In honor of this horrible experience, we give you Tony
Soprano.

Tony sopranos hates it when his CD skips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehsc_ltE20w

8. Dot Matrix Printer

It’s no secret that printers are loud, but no printer shuffles along more
loudly that the Dot  Matrix printer from the 1970s. Boy was this thing LOUD.

8. Dot Matrix Printer

It’s no secret that printers are loud, but no printer shuffles along more
loudly that the Dot  Matrix printer from the 1970s. Boy was this thing LOUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_vXA058EDY

9. Dial up

Nowadays the Internet is super fast. Even “low-speed” Internet is fast.
Don’t believe us? We  suggest you go talk to someone who lived through the
90s. You need only say three words to this  person: Dial-up Internet. That
loud groan you’ll hear is the collective frustration of every person  who
ever had to suffer the torture of dial up. Not only did you take over the
phone line, which  gave your grandmother anxiety attacks because she kept
getting the busy signal (see above) while  she dialed you on her rotary
phone, but you also had to wait half an hour for anything to appear on  the
screen.

But that wasn’t the worst part. Oh no. The worst part was the sound. That
horrible dial-up tone.

AOL (Sign On - Dial Up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UY7eDRXrs

10. AOL You’ve Got Mail!

No doubt you’re still traumatized by the dial up tone and just experienced
a horrible flashback, so  we’ll end things with a much nicer sound that
many of us actually miss. So here it is. You’ve got  mail!

10. AOL You’ve Got Mail!

No doubt you’re still traumatized by the dial up tone and just experienced
a horrible flashback, so  we’ll end things with a much nicer sound that
many of us actually miss. So here it is. You’ve got  mail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBLiHpkcOk

“Prayer is not a check request asking for things from God. It is a deposit
slip - a way of depositing God’s character into our bankrupt souls.”

-Dutch Sheets,

To subscribe to Dan's tips or dedaily devotions, send an email to
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with either "subscribe dan's tips" or "subscribe daily
devotion" in the subject.

This message has been scanned by Norton 360