[accesscomp] Dan's Tip of the Day

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 07:21:00 -0700

This publication has lots to offer. I wanted to share with others and give
you the opportunity to subscribe if you wish. God bless and have a great
week.

The Consumer Vision

May/June, 2015

Address, 359 Coggeshall St., New Bedford, MA 02746

Telephone, 508-994-4972

Web Site, www.consumervisionmagazine.com

Email Address, branco182@xxxxxxxxxxx

Publisher, Bob Branco

Editor, Terri Winaught

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Letter from the Editor ### by Terri Winaught

The Teaching Profession ### by Alan Dalton

Article from Ernie Jones ### by Ernie Jones

Should Anyone ever Worry About Minecraft? ### News Article

GE Works with Kentucky School for the Blind to design Braille Kits for its
Artistry electric range. ### Contributed by Bob Branco and released on March
19, 2015, by the Kentucky School for the Blind.

Progression or Regression ### by James R. Campbell, written on April 9th,
2015.

Facing Blindness ### by Ernest Jones

Article about AmeriCorps ### by Terri Winaught

Tips for VIPS (because visually-impaired persons are important, too). ### by
Penny Fleckenstein

Special Notices ### from several contributors

A Wonderful May Perkins Reunion ### by Karen Crowder

Welcome to Spring, the Season of Rebirth ### by Ernest Jones

May's Promise ### by Karen Crowder

Reading Braille ### by Deanna Quietwater Noriega

A Salvation Army Dumpster Escapade ### by Steve Brown

Trivia Contest: Answer from last issue and Question for This Issue ### by
Bob Branco

Note: In addition to using the symbol ### (three number signs) in this Table
of Contents, the above sign is also used between articles to make searching
for and skipping items easier.

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

May-June issue

Dear Readers,

At least in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, winter finally seems to have
released its frozen, persistent grip, so hope that is also the case where
you live. Flowers are beginning to bloom and spring breezes offer the scent
of life being reborn and the hope that comes with rebirth.

Speaking of hope, my hope, as always, is that you will enjoy this issue of
Consumer Vision in which Feature Writer Karen Crowder will include an
inspirational poem or two.

I'm also looking forward to any contributions from regular writers Ernie
Jones, John Justice and our newest writers James Campbell and Penny
Fleckenstein. (Thank you, Penny and James for your excellent contributions.)
I also want to commend Allan Dicey for a beautiful poem in March-April's
Consumer Vision.

The two points with which I'd like to conclude are encouraging any new
writers who want to contribute to do so, as well as readers who are able to
support Consumer Vision financially by purchasing a cookbook with recipes
from persons who are blind. This cookbook costs $10 and is available in
Braille, in Print and on audio CD. You'll find Bob Branco's address, phone
number, and E-mail at the top of the Table of Contents page. For
instructions on how to pay for this book using PayPal, please phone, write
to or E-mail Bob.

Thanks for reading with me, and thanks to Publisher Branco for his work
growing this magazine, and original Editor Janet Marcley who set the high
professional standards this publication strives to uphold.

Also, feel free to give me feedback such as: what you like best about
Consumer Vision, what you might like to see more of or a a new feature, and
what could be improved in your opinions which I very much value. My contact
info: t.winaught@xxxxxxxxxxx, E-mail; 412-263-2022, home, and 412-720-8261,
cell (call or text).

I respond promptly to E-mails, phone calls and text messages, and a little
bit more slowly to Braille letters because I don't always have large enough
envelopes in which to send them. That's a shame, because I love Braille and
believe that Braille Literacy is so valuable and necessary.

Enjoy spring breezes, warm sunshine and fragrant flowers and don't forget
to bring our magazine outside with you, or wherever you go to drink in
spring's beauty.

Terri Winaught, Editor

###

The Teaching Profession

By Alan Dalton

I'm certainly glad my teaching career is almost at its completion. It's
getting so we teachers can't teach anymore; we have far too many other
things we need to teach first. Thanks to lack of parental involvement, and
our wonderful School Board, we teachers are forced to evaluate all our
students, making sure, in our opinion, that each student has had enough
sleep, because if a child is tired, you can't reach that child. Does the
child look cold? Because if he's tired, and cold, not good. The child
can't be reached, and of course, you have to observe students in the lunch
room to see if they're hungry. For example, how fast did the student eat
his sandwich, or hot lunch? Gotta love those behavioral objectives. So
basically, if a student is tired, cold, or hasn't had enough to eat, you
can't teach that child, so says the Guidance Department. Then you need to
observe your students to see if they move, like sitting at their desk, do
they look sore, and can you see any black and blue marks? We have to be
Social workers. Child abuse and neglect are two big issues in schools
today. Then, of course, you've got to teach the students about drugs and
sex, and when you finish that, then there's the Officer Friendly Program,
where teachers have to inform students about what the Police Department can
and should do for students. The list goes on and on regarding all the
various duties we teachers must perform. Maybe, just maybe, when you're
through with all this nonsense, you'll find time to teach reading, writing,
and arithmetic. Supposedly, I was hired to teach history and geography, and
parents sit back wondering why test scores are so low, especially on SAT's
and our forms of testing. It's absolutely bull what teachers have to go
through on a daily basis. I remember when I first started teaching, the
teacher before me only had 3 credits in geography, and only 18 credits in
history, while I wondered why the class average was only a 43. Now a blind
teacher comes along with 120 credits in both geography and history, plus
graduate school, and all of a sudden the class average was up to 93.
Parents were totally outraged that the school board had the nerve to hire
someone who was blind. Their argument was, “since he's blind, how can my
child get the best possible education?” Parents can put every demand under
the sun on teachers, and you better darn well follow them. However, when
you request the presence of the parents at a parents/teacher conference,
those same parents are nowhere to be found. Throughout an entire year, if I
see 3 to 5 parents, that's a lot, but do something wrong, or perceive to do
something wrong, and you'll hear from those same parents and be brought
before the School Board. My advice is, yes, get permission from parents
before you do a darned thing as a teacher. It's called, CYA (Cover You’re
a--). You've gotta love how parents take away initiative from teachers, and
it's a wonder that students can learn anything. Without a permission slip,
your dear little Johnny or Suzie can just sit there and rot.

###

Article from Ernie Jones

In last month’s column I related people’s thoughts about going blind. This
month I’d like to present what people have told me about learning to cope
with blindness after the initial shock lessened, and what they did with
their lives.(new voice)With Braille training and classes to learn the
computer, I returned to work at my former medical transcription job in the
hospital. Later I worked for 10 years as a transcriptionist from out of my
home for one doctor and one physician assistant.I’m a published author,
volunteer for a cat rescue group encouraging adoption of cats, write weekly
columns and sing in the church choir. My life is full.(new voice)I found
that my career and my personal disposition flourished once I had embraced
blindness — rather than trying to continue to function normally in the
sighted world, in which I was only fooling myself. Currently, I’ve taught
for 25 years in a Head Start class room with wonderful, sponge-like 3- and
4-year-old children preparing them for kindergarten. In 2009, I was awarded
the National Head Start Teacher of the Year Award. I have found the gift of
blindness to allow me to accept individuals for the kind, kindred, beautiful
souls they are, without the ability to pass judgment based on visual
assessment.(new voice)Loss of eyesight may have stopped me from doing
handwriting but it has not slowed me as for using the computer. I find
people who suddenly know their eyesight is fading and offer them
encouragement. Life can still be great.(new voice)After the hospital stay
following the mine explosion and loss of my eyes, the state sent me to
massage school. I worked in that industry for a number of years, in fact, I
taught massage until I developed an allergy to oil and had to give that up.
I then worked at a lighthouse for a spell. A few years ago I retired.For
several years I wrote, edited and sent out a newsletter for our church. I
taught a Bible class in our church and even filled in for the pastor a few
times giving the sermon.

(new voice)

I worked as a counselor for the past 20-plus years for addicts and
alcoholics and assorted criminals. Being blind, color, race or a body
covered with tattoos didn’t bother me. I only heard the person and would
help, regardless as to what they looked like.I read constantly. With audio
books I can read while working on various projects — mowing the lawn,
working on cars, doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen — even while
listening to the Super Bowl.(new voice)Washington State Department of
Services for the Blind helps the blind with training and skills, preparing
them to be able to step into today’s job force. I thank them — they saw my
need and helped me achieve my goals. I was given the opportunity to develop
computer skills and encouraged to press forward with my writing.Because of
going blind, I was introduced once again to my passion for writing, which
helped me dive deep into my emotions and feelings and today gives me great
enjoyment as I share my stories.(new voice)There was a period of time for
retraining with the blind perspective in selling myself to a business to
hire me, knowing I could do the job. I also managed a small company from my
home with speech software on my computer. In this way I also keep track of
our utilities, expenses and grocery shopping.My second job was the American
Automobile Association in northern New England, where I worked as a call
receiver for 14 years and 8 months, retiring in the spring of 2014. The
headset I wore had my computer speech software speaking in my left ear, the
customer talking via the phone jack in my right ear and a flip down
microphone to talk to the customer while I typed the information into the
computer. The average call for a sighted person is three minutes, which I
was soon able to do. I worked anything from a normal shift of 8 1/2 hours to
11 hours, depending on what emergencies came up.It takes a lot of
concentration working with a headset with both ears taking in conflicting
information. One has to train the brain for multi-tasking, and that is not
always easy.I lived 2 1/2 miles from the job site and walked back and forth
to work with my guide dog, rain or snow.

(New Voice)

I first heard about a great fundraiser being done in our part of New York
that included blind men and women driving a car. The fundraiser was to
support” campabilities.org, a summer camp for young blind and blind-deaf
ages 9 to 19.I was asked if I would like to drive a car with a sighted
co-pilot — it was a dream come true.For six years we did this on a regular
dirt race track in two different locations. Though I never won first place,
I had a blast. One can only imagine what a thrill it is to wear a race
driver outfit, including helmet, gloves and flame-retardant driving suit. To
feel the power of the wind coming through the front of the car (because all
the glass had been removed) was exhilarating. At times the mud would
splatter, nearly covering us. One time the co-driver said, “keep going — we
are at almost 65 mph.” I could go on for hours describing the fun I had
helping to raise money for a very worthy cause .No one wants to be blind but
life can still be great.Ernie

AUTHOR OF ONESIMUS, THE RUN-AWAY SLAVE

For a 24 hour, 7 day a week Christian station for anyone around the world,
even the blind.

###

Should parents ever worry about Minecraft?, News Article

In the space of a few years, the computer game Minecraft has come to
dominate the spare hours of millions of children, and has even entered the
classroom. But is this an entirely good thing, asks Jolyon Jenkins.

If I want to irritate my 13-year-old son, Joe, I refer to Minecraft as
"digital Lego". He grew out of Lego a long time ago.

But that's what Minecraft is - a computer game in which you build things
using cubic blocks. But it's Lego on steroids. You never run out of blocks
and they never topple over. You can walk among your own creations, and play
online with other people who are in the same world.

Sometimes, monsters come out after dark to try to kill you, which is never
pleasant, but compared with games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty,
Minecraft is innocent, peaceful, and pretty wholesome.

So why does it drive so many parents to distraction?

"It's all consuming," says Gabrielle Wacker, of her 11-year-old son Arthur.

"It's become a way of life. He would be on it before school given the
chance. I've had to hide the device in the morning."

Her biggest worry, she says, is that it reduces his interest in the real
world. "He doesn't do any clubs any more. At weekends, one of the first
things he says when he gets up in the morning is, 'We're not going anywhere,
are we?' because clearly he wants to be at home where he has got access to
the devices."

Minecraft screenshot of a castle

A castle encountered on Joe's adventures in Minecraft

Parenting websites are full of such stories. If not actually playing
Minecraft, parents report that their children watch videos of other people
playing it.

The statistics are astounding - one group of Minecraft gamers, Yogscast,
based in Bristol, is watched for 37 million minutes every day, and they are
not the biggest.

The stars of Minecraft, like "Stampy Longnose" are to this generation of
children what John Noakes was to mine, except Blue Peter was only on twice a
week, whereas Stampy is viewable all day, every day, a permanent uninvited
guest in some households.

Brief history of Minecraft

Developed in Sweden by Markus Persson and his company Mojang - officially
released in 2011. Company has sold 33 million copies of game in different
formats. Bought by Microsoft for $2.5bn (£1.5bn) in September 2014.

I hesitate to use the word "addicted", but for some children it seems to
fit.

Dr Richard Graham, a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist who runs a
technology addiction unit at the private Nightingale Hospital in London,
sees children with a serious Minecraft habit. He talks about the game's
"hyper-reality" which he says makes the external world "slower, paler, less
stimulating".

Minecraft screenshot of a valley

A sweeping valley featuring a castle

My son Joe has his own server, where 20 or so like-minded friends have been
creating their own world for the last couple of years. Most of them are in
America, and he has never met any of them. Their creations are impressive,
but still - is it right for kids to be shunning the real world for this
virtual, low-rest, blocky universe?

The moves in this argument are as well-rehearsed as a 17th Century gavotte.

Minecraft's champions say that it's very creative and that I should just
look at the things kids are making on it.

I concede the point but say that it's two-dimensional, and that children
should be exercising more than their mouse fingers. The other side asks why
it's any worse than reading for hours at a time.

Because, I say, reading allows you to imaginatively inhabit other minds. The
opposition implies that this is just the latest moral panic, and that Stone
Age elders probably thought the world was going to the dogs when people
stopped just staring at the fire and started telling each other stories.

Minecraft screenshot of a castle

A particularly imposing entrance to a castle

But then there's the "griefing". Because Minecraft is a world with private
property but no police force, children are, at least on public servers, in a
world that philosopher Thomas Hobbes would have recognized - a state of
nature where all are at war with all.

"Griefers" are people who deliberately make trouble, destroy property, and
then sometimes post videos of their exploits to amuse everyone.

Even Joe, on his well-ordered server, has had his property stolen by a
Russian member. He doesn't know where his stuff went, but suspects it was
disposed of in molten lava. When parents think of online bullying, they
probably don't think of hard-earned virtual property being trashed, or their
children being digitally mugged.

Joe's nine tips to bluff your way in Minecraft:

1. Diamond is the best material for pickaxes because it breaks blocks the
fastest and lasts the longest.

2. Players can tame wild wolves by feeding them a few bones, and ocelots
with fish.

3. Throwing an enderpearl like a ball allows you to teleport to where it
lands.

4. With redstone, you can create complex mechanisms. Some people have even
recreated computers.

5. The only blocks in the game which are affected by gravity are sand,
gravel, and anvils.

6. Creepers are green creatures which will sneak up behind you and try to
blow you up. Skeletons try to shoot you with bows.

7. Cows and sheep can be bred by feeding them wheat, pigs with carrots and
chickens with seeds.

8. You can play music to nearby players with a music disc, which are created
when a skeleton shoots a creeper.

9. A trapped chest will give off a redstone signal when opened, meaning you
can create all sorts of traps to fool your friends.

It was in a bid to deal with griefers that Amanda Osborne set up her own
server where her son Callum could play in relative safety. Callum, aged
nine, is autistic, and finds it easier to interact with people in the
Minecraft world than in the real one.

Now, children with autistic spectrum disorders from around the world are
logging on to Amanda's server and making amazing, inspiring creations that
impressed even Joe when we paid an online visit.

For some autistic children who have trouble with complex social
interactions, Minecraft is clearly a good fit with its lack of intricate
social cues and simple environment. But for many parents, the absence of
that complexity, in a world where their children spend so much time, might
be a reason to be wary.

Student stares at computer with "Minecraft" flashed up on monitor

Schools - such as this one in Juneau, Alaska - have started introducing
Minecraft into lessons

But Minecraft is unstoppable. You might think that at least school provides
a few hours of Minecraft-free time a day, but the game is coming to
classrooms, as education experts enthuse about its ability to engage and
capture the imagination of children who are hard to reach through
traditional teaching methods. Even the British Museum is getting volunteers
to recreate the building and its exhibits in Minecraft.

Worst of all, Lego has brought out its own Minecraft set. What this means
for the next generation of engineers brought up in a world where nothing
ever falls over, I dare not imagine.

Boy plays Minecraft at kitchen table

The community of people involved with the game numbers in the tens of
millions. Many of those fans are children, among whom it is almost a
religion.

###

- - -

GE Works with Kentucky School for the Blind to Design Braille Kit for
Electric Range

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky. - March 19, 2015 - The simplicity of GE's Artistry T
Series of appliances-an affordable suite of appliances targeted to
first-time homebuyers and Millennials-lends itself to a unique market
segment: the visually impaired.

Working with students from the Kentucky School for the Blind, GE engineers
and designers in Louisville, Kentucky developed an accessory kit of Braille
overlays for the new Artistry electric range controls that helps the
visually impaired use its cooktop and oven functions.

According to an American Foundation for the Blind article, stoves are the
least accessible class of appliances. Many ranges today have smooth, push
buttons on a back control panel. The ADA-compliant Artistry range offers
front-control knobs that are within reach, and a straightforward design that
lends itself to a Braille accessory kit for the blind or visually impaired.

"Both my parents taught special education," says Lee Lagomarcino, a GE
product manager who initially championed the project and observed Kentucky
School for the Blind students interacting with ranges. "As we developed the
Artistry electric range, we knew its simplicity made it more universally
appealing and ideal for a Braille application."

High, low and off heat settings were added to the Braille overlay on GE's
Artistry T range controls to help the visually impaired use the cooktop
functions.

Student input leads to product concept

Students from the Kentucky School for the Blind helped the GE team determine
what was needed - a high, medium and low heat setting for the cooktop, and a
low, 350 degree and broil option for the oven. With those readily accessible
features to serve as a baseline, the oven can be adjusted to a recipe as
needed.

A focus group of students at the school came up with ways to make ranges
more user friendly - using puffy paint and brightly contrasting colors to
showcase their ideas. GE took those ideas and turned them into the
custom-designed Braille kit.

Students also tested the initial designs for ease of use.

Kentucky School for the Blind Program Coordinator Paula Penrod said, "Many
times, manufacturers will introduce a new product, then seek comments from
consumers with disabilities. Consumers who are blind and visually impaired
have unique needs when using appliances. By working with GE during the
production stage, our students were able to demonstrate the type of Braille
modifications that would be most helpful.

We appreciate GE for seeking our students' input on the front end of GE's
Artistry range project." As a thank you to the Kentucky School for the Blind
and its students for their help, GE donated a full suite of Artistry kitchen
appliances to the school's campus on Frankfurt Avenue in Louisville,
Kentucky.

Pricing and availability The GE Artistry electric ranges and Braille kits
are available in black and white and can be purchased nationwide where GE
appliances are sold.

For help locating a dealer, go to

www.GEAppliances.com and use the Dealer Locator tool or call the GE Answer
Center at 1-800-626-2000.

the estimated retail price of the Artistry electric range is $599, and the
braille kit is $15.75.* (Retailers - Pub number 4-A034 fits the black
Artistry range model ABS45DFBS , and pub number 4-A024 fits the white
Artistry range model

ABS45DFWS.)

In addition to the braille kits for ranges, GE offers a standard braille kit
for common buttons on its microwave ovens. The kit (pub number 4-A212) can
be ordered where GE appliances are sold.

As a group, stoves are the least accessible class of appliances we
evaluated. The vast majority have flat, inaccessible oven controls. -
American Foundation for the Blind

* Retailers set their own prices.

###

Progression or Regression

By James R. Campbell

© April 9, 2015

I am submitting this latest article for Consumer Vision in order to discuss
what I call progression or regression.

Over the last twenty years, the advancement of high technology has made it
possible for the blind to make more progress than in any other time in
history. We now have computers with screenreaders that allow us to send and
receive e-mails, use word processors, and surf the internet. The doors that
have been opened to us in light of these advances have offered us more
possibilities than at any other time. Free screenreaders like NVDA have made
it possible for more blind people to have access to a world that they could
only dream of otherwise.

Yet, as far as the view of many of the sighted, we still live in the 17th
century, and are viewed as objects to be either pitied or criticized.

I recently had a conversation with a friend on a chat line for the blind who
told me about a recent experience with an exterminator who came to treat her
apartment for bed bugs. He walked into her apartment, and began criticizing
her because he said the apartment wasn’t clean enough, as he put it. He
asked her if she had family members who came and helped her. Yet, he did
not clean the apartment when he vacuumed it, because she still noticed dirt
on the floor.

He discarded her deodorant, and discarded the plastic bags she used for her
laundry and other needs. He did not put the things that he moved back where
she had them, and when he found one of her audiobooks from the NLS
collection, he told her that he found one of her “Hearing books for the
blind.”

He attempted to show where her surge protector was by pointing at it, as one
would do for a sighted person.

When people play games with semantics as this man did, it’s bad enough, but
the context in which this happened makes it far worse. I am certain that
this is not an isolated incident.

The key is education and exposure. I have never been opposed to taking
questions about my blindness when anyone has a question. This is part of the
learning process that comprises the beginning of dialogue with the sighted
world at large.

It is just as important that the sighted see us in action; preparing food
for meals for our families, using our talking timers, and working at our
talking laptops with our screen readers. Such simple steps as these are
invaluable in furthering our journey out of the 17th century.

But no matter how hard we try, there are some people who will display their
sheer stupidity, no matter what we do. Many of the blind are criticized by
their own families, and ostracized in other ways. This is especially bad at
holidays, when the families treat the blind as breakable pieces of china or
put them in a corner and expect them to grow like houseplants. This is
something that normal families don’t understand, because functional families
don’t treat their family members that way. Functional families tend to allow
their blind relatives to participate in the celebrations rather than put
them on shelves and expect them to stay in one place.

The goal is self-reliance. We are all interdependent; there are times when
we need help. What self-reliance does is allow us to help our friends and
families as well as ourselves.

I have always enjoyed cooking, and have often prepared meals for my elderly
aunt and me. I help her with many things around the house since she works at
a daycare. The more we do for our families, the easier it is.

Each one of us has something to contribute; even those of us who don’t have
regular jobs like the sighted. The choice is regression, in which we don’t
interact with sighted society, furthering their education, or progression
and engagement, which will take us from the 17th century to what we hope
will be a brighter future. For those times when we run into those we can’t
reach, we can say we tried, and they can’t take that from us.

###

Facing blindness

By Ernest Jones

How would you face blindness if today you were told you were going blind? As
follows are things other blind people have shared with me, as we try to show
that blindness may not be all bad.“I missed not being able to see the
sunsets, the birds feeding at our feeder. I also miss not being able to work
on my hobby of collecting and identifying seeds. I knew the burden it would
place on my wife, having to do all the driving. But with the help of God and
His answers to my prayers, I am still a useful person.”“How can I support my
family? — and oh no, I can no longer drive the old family pickup. Though
acquaintances say they will still take me fishing and such, it will not be
the same.”“I feel I was one of the lucky ones, as I lost my eyesight slowly.
Somehow the good Lord always comes through for us.”“While driving,
everything went black and I totaled the car. I was thought to be drunk, ‘No,
I can’t see,’ I replied to the authorities. I was rushed to Massachusetts
Eye and Ear to be told I had retinitis pigmentosa, and probably would not
get my eyesight back. I was very angry and would get drunk. I smashed a lot
of white canes in anger. “Why ME!” I screamed. Then one day I had my
experience with the “Higher Power” and slowly learned to accept the
blindness as the tunnel closed, leaving only darkness.Today I would not
trade my blindness. I am well-adjusted and life is grand.”“I lost my sight
years ago in a mining accident. The one thing that always stuck with me is,
when I awoke after three weeks in the hospital and realized that I was blind
because I no longer had any eyes since they were destroyed in the accident,
even though I was now blind, I was still alive and had my life to live. So I
do it the best I can.”“Shock and disbelief were the first thoughts/feelings
when told I was going blind. I knew there was something wrong but thought it
was my prescription for glasses. That was denial, as I had been told
probably 10 years earlier that I would be losing my eyesight someday.“I had
spent my working life driving various types of trucks, and was driving a
semi-truck load back from Canada one night when I could not see the road. It
was that night that led me to get my eyes checked.“After the ‘you are blind’
diagnosis and the shock and disbelief wore off, I grew angry. The state of
Montana was great in assisting me the two months it took to get my
disability from Social Security. That escalated the anger, knowing I had to
go on state aid and on social security disability. I turned to drinking and
I let alcohol destroy not only my life, but the lives of others. During
those seven years there were several tragedies, all traced to alcohol.
“Finally in 1986, after another tragedy, it sunk in that all these problems
were caused by alcohol — it would be a good idea if I stopped drinking. I
found that once I stopped drinking I was then able to start the grieving
process of the loss of my sight.Do I like being blind? No! I would love to
see my children and grandchildren, my friends and my dogs. I see them in my
mind, but it is not quite the same. But I don’t spend time feeling sorry for
myself, for life is still good.”“I thanked the Lord for answering my prayers
because I asked that the next health issue that would affect my dad, would
affect me instead. Dad was bedridden with a number of health issues, and it
was the only way a young girl like me could help her dad through the next
crisis, or so I thought.““In those first few days of vision loss, I was
petrified of having to go through the rest of my life without sight. I was
scared, doubtful, apprehensive — but most of all, I felt as alone as I had
ever felt before. I prayed and asked for forgiveness, figuring that what was
happening was the result of past flaws in my character.“My vocational rehab
counselor, through the Division for Blind Services, instilled in me the
belief that no matter how hard it was, no matter how hopeless I felt, I
didn’t have to go through this alone. There was help, guidance and support
that would help me get through the shock and point me in the direction that
would take me toward the rest of my life. At this point, I made a decision
that I would do whatever it took to get my independence back, to be able to
live a productive life in spite of the vision loss. I still went through
many troubled moments of fear and doubt, but kept driving forward, one step
at a time. The biggest gifts were love, faith, courage and being introduced
once again to my passion for writing, which helped me dive deep into my
emotions and feelings.“I had encouragement from family, friends and a
guiding hand from God, who is still guiding me to this moment.”

Ernie

AUTHOR OF ONESIMUS, THE RUN-AWAY SLAVE

###

Article about Americorps

By Terri Winaught

If you were alive during the 1960's as I was, you probably remember that
period in US history as a truly dynamic decade. It was a time of change and
challenge. It was a time of possibility and pain. It was a time of civil
unrest and an unashamed passion to seek social justice.

One of the hallmarks of those ten years was the implementation of what
President Johnson called, "The Great Society." VISTA, or Volunteers in
Service to America, was a key part of the President's initiative to
eradicate poverty and foster self-sufficiency.

Since 1993, VISTA has been incorporated in to AmeriCorps, a
federally-funded program designed to "get things done" by addressing
education, health-care, public safety and the environment.

Though I could place further discussion of AmeriCorps with the framework
of my four years of service-two in AmeriCorps Health Corps and two in KEYS-I
will instead share a poem I wrote as a dialog between an AmeriCorps member
and a prospective member.

Because each line begins with a letter of the alphabet, this poetic style
is called Abecedarian. In addition to sharing with Consumer Vision readers,
I have also submitted it for possible inclusion in the 2015 AmeriCorps
graduation ceremony.

GRADUATION

2015 POEM

AmeriCorps Member: AmeriCorps is a great federally-funded program that
really gets things done.

Prospective Member: Believe me, I'd love to join, but what if the kids
don't like me?

Member: Courage is what it takes to open yourself up to the kids and take
that chance.

DEVOTION is just as important as the courage to try.

Prospective Member: EVERYONE I've talked to about serving says that, so
maybe I should try.

Member: FAITH-BASED, school-based and after-school programs are the places
you'll serve if you join KEYS.

Prospective Member: GREAT! the more I talk to you and here about
AmeriCorps the more confident I'm feeling about joining.

HOW do you go about joining?

Member: It's easy, even though I should warn you that the application is
long and you'll also have to write an essay describing why you want to join.

Prospective Member: JUST let me know their phone number, website or both,
and I'll fill out an application as quickly as I can.

Member: Kids can be challenging, especially when they are still in the
testing phase of the mentoring process, but the rewards are well worth it.

Prospective Member: LOVING kids even though you sometimes won't like them
is what it's all about.

Member: MENTORING by asking about hobbies; being sure you are pronouncing
the mentee's name correctly, and meeting four hours a month over a six-month
period will enable you to achieve the four building blocks of a successful
relationship.

Prospective Member: NOW that sounds complicated! I'm beginning to have
second thoughts and am thinking that maybe I can't do this after all.

Member: OH, don't think that way. There will be days you will feel exactly
like what you just said if you sign up and find a site, but overall, I just
know you will do a great job.

Prospective Member: PERFECTION is what I strive for in everything I do,
but I guess that's not realistic, is it?

Member: QUITE the opposite, even though doing your best and giving it your
all is always the ideal to strive for.

Prospective Member: REALLY sounds intense, but I'm crazy about kids so
would like to give it a try.

Member: SUPPORT is what I'll give you throughout the whole process, as an
AmeriCorps alum and especially as a friend.

Prospective Member: Trusting you has never steered me wrong.

Member: Usually I'm pretty on target.

Prospective Member: Very true.

Member: Well, I better let you get started.

Prospective Member: EXACTLY.

Member: YOUTH are waiting.

Prospective Member: ZEAL to take advantage of a new, life-enriching
opportunity is what I've always been about.

To offer feedback about this article or ask about how to get involved,
E-mail t.winaught@xxxxxxxxxxx or phone 412-263-2022.

###

Tips For Vips (because visually Impaired Persons are Important, too)

By Penny Fleckenstein

It's been a challenging past month in my life. I've even encountered
obstacles meeting the deadline for this article.

Wouldn't you know, I'm sure you've been there. And, if you haven't, no
worries, you will get there because life is not without it's difficulties.
I've learned some hard lessons which will make the meat tough to eat on this
vegan. When I was a child, my dad told me that vegetarians are more
delicious for animals to eat than meateaters. Note to all tigers and lions,
you can stay away from this one.

For years, even back in 1996, I've been told how important it is to back up
all your data. 19 years later, I've finally learned this lesson. I was
frantically putting together this column when my BrailleNote Apex started
acting whacky. A complete folder containing 80 books disappeared and my
digital audiobooks from the National Library Service were unpacking in such
a way that I couldn't listen to them. I backed up and set my Braillenote
Apex to factory default ... well, what I thought, completely restoring my
Braillenote. Ha, not all the files went back on. All my creative writing
folder, articles folder, and so many more folders did not show back up. I
couldn't believe it! My backup camera must not have been working properly!
What did I do but called my wonderful friend Terri Winaught to ask her to
pray. I prayed too. Within minutes, I had located a previous backup file I
had on a different thumb drive and now most of my files have been recovered.
Not one hundred percent yet, but it's getting there. I have vowed that I
will backup my BN Apex at least once a week from now on. It'll save me
hours in time and sleep and unnecessary anxiety. I have also vowed to
figure out ways to back up other data on other technology such as my
computer and Booksense. I still have to rewrite some chapters of a book I'm
working on, but I will have peace of mind knowing that I can easily restore
in the future. Jonathan Langen, the tech I spoke to at Humanware, suggests
we set our BrailleNotes back to factory default at least once a year.

Earlier in the month, I had another BrailleNote disaster. I had to live
without it for ten days while waiting for me to get the money to order a new
battery and a new ac adapter, and for Humanware to ship it and get it to me.
It simply would not charge nor would it work on just electricity. From now
on, besides backing up my data, I will keep a spare ac adapter around and
order a new battery before my treasured machine dies.

Not so tragic, but nonetheless still time consuming, four of my knitting
projects had gotten tangled altogether. I spent four hours, with a little
help from my daughter Katrina, disentangling my projects. Long sigh! If
only I had taken my own advice and kept all the diffrent skeins of yarn in a
ziploc bag as I had suggested in my first Tips For Vips column. One of
those hit myself in the forehead moments. You know those ones. I'm sure
you've experienced it yourself. If you haven't yet, I'm sure you will.
Life has a way of doing that.

Now, for my final hard lesson from this past month, I called the Giant Eagle
Customer Service number, our local grocery store, to convert my 50 cents of
fuel perks into a five dollar off coupon.

During the call, the lady told me that I had let 10 cents of my fuel perks
expire in March and told me that she could, as a once a year courtesy, give
them back to me. Who would have known that they would extend that
considering one month I let 30 cents lapse. I thanked her for letting me
know and declined her offer.

One of these days in the next year, I may need to use that courtesy.
Sometime when I really, really blow it. Check out your local grocery store
rewards program and see if there's a way you can convert your fuel perks, if
you don't use them for fuel that is, into something you can use. If they
do, also find out if they have a similar once a year courtesy as the Giant
Eagle does.

Till next time, keep saving money, making good use of your time, and getting
all the sleep you need. I have so much more in store for you next issue.

###

Special Notices ### contributed by several readers

"The blind dating community" is a new facebook group hosted by blind
moderators, enabling visually impaired singles to communicate and get to
know others. The link of the group is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/732925866827394/

Blind-philly.com is an E-mail site on which computer, Ios and other access
technology updates are posted. The most recent post I read on that website
was about a new command you can use if you have Ios8.3 installed on your
phone. With that app, you can tell Siri to place a call on Speaker Phone.
For example, if I had the necessary app installed, I could say, "Call my
husband on Speaker Phone," or call 411 on speaker Phone. This new Siri
command also offers the option of giving a phone number either after or
before a word.

The only aspect of this which one might consider a drawback is that the
phone is no longer on speaker once you place it to your ear.

To obtain more information about this new Siri command and its flexibility
relative to calling someone on Speaker Phone, your nearest iPhone store can
be a wealth of information. Several times I have gone to the iPhone store
closest to me in Pittsburgh PA, that business always being a rich source of
well-presented information.

Conducting a search on apple.com will also help as will asking anyone who
has tried this app. Have any of you tried this new Siri command with Ios
8.3 installed? If so, how did you like it?

Was it better than you thought or not as good? What improvements, if any,
would you suggest to Apple?

Since Readers Forum is a way for you to raise topics, ask questions, and
express opinions, I would love to hear from anyone who regularly uses or has
tried to use this updated application.

Terri Winaught, Editor

###

A great May Perkins Reunion

By Karen Crowder

Each May since 2000, Bob Branco has had spring reunions of former Perkins
School students at restaurants.

Every year since 2009, the reunion was at Uno's. I am about to describe the
one I attended on May 4, 2013.

On Saturday May 4, my friend Candice and I stood outdoors at her apartment
enjoying spring sunshine. Although it was ten o'clock A.M, we hoped our ride
would arrive "any minute."

We listened, hearing the telltale sound of the engine and its distinctive
beep backing into 30 Linden Street.

I got in to the van first, Candice standing on the lift with her walker, the
driver helping her in to the large van. We drove into Welsely, and traffic
was light this Saturday morning. At the transfer in Welsley, we alighted to
another large van. We discovered an older student I had known at Perkins was
riding with us. He is a musician who was playing another gig that night.

Twenty minutes later at 11-19, we arrived at our destination.

We went up the broad stairs, onto the large terrace. I noticed how cool the
breeze was and hoped I would not be sitting in a room too close to the door.
As we entered Uno's, I could not believe how large this restaurant was with
its many rooms.

Even at 11-25, the cacophony of competing conversations was nearly
overwhelming. The room did not seem big enough for everyone who had
attended.

My friend Candice and I separated. My friend Tom signaled I could sit with
him in a booth. I was immediately comfortable and contented, sinking in to
the leather-like booth.

Bob was happy to see so many at the annual May reunion. He called the roll,
making us aware of who was there on this lovely spring Saturday. .. I heard
names of friends I had not seen in years.

Since there was only one Braille menu for approximately forty people, I had
the server read the list of soups and sandwiches. I ordered broccoli and
cheese soup and a cheeseburger with mushrooms, onions, lettuce and aged
Cabot cheddar with accompanying mashed potatoes. Tom ordered Mac and
cheese with steak knowing he would like it. I loved the soup with oyster
crackers. The cheeseburger was almost too big for me to finish. However, it
was juicy with its distinctive charbroiled flavor. The onions, cheese and
mushrooms complemented it. However, I could not eat the mashed potatoes,
which had seemed to be the right accompaniment. Tom asked, "Why did you
order them?" I said "I thought I would be able to eat them. I can't eat as
much as I used to." "

After one-thirty Bob called names, checking if other people who had been
absent were here. Some had chosen to eat in another quieter room. ".

I got up, guided to the large restroom by the kind server. Afterwards I
animatedly chatted with friends I had not seen in awhile. I sat near
someone's wheel chair listening as she told me how she was faring at the
nursing home. She is able to go out and enjoys reading Xavier Society
Catholic literature. It was wonderful talking to her.

I talked to another woman who I have known since childhood. We went to the
same day camp together in 1960. She recalled the pleasant memories of going
to the beach every day. We had fond memories of the ice-cream truck. It
always came to the Weymouth day camp at five of two. We always rushed to buy
the five-cent fudge-cicle before getting in to the large cab. It took us to
the beach in Weymouth. We always loved those afternoons, and the welcome
swim cooling us off on hot August afternoons..

We talked of other people we had known. I was happy to see her having this
enjoyable chat. Candice and I talked to other friends catching up on our
lives and what we were doing. I hoped we all would remain in touch. As the
afternoon waned, people were gradually returning home on paratransit.

Candice and I were guided outdoors, to a bench on the terrace. An easterly
wind was blowing from the Atlantic. My hopes for a warm afternoon had been
dashed. I was thankful for my long yellow polyester pants, white long
sleeved shirt and jacket. I saw people going on their ride. I called our
ride provider; He told us they were there. I notified them we are both
blind, and he stated they would look for us.

The ride came as I was standing on the bottom step hoping the van would see
us. With another passenger, we drove to his stop and to our transfer in
Welsley.

Traffic on this Saturday afternoon was surprisingly light when driving to
Framingham. Candice was informing her driver that she would be moving to
Marlborough at the end of the month; she would miss having this ride
service. Since Marlboro is, "the next town over, no one understood "why they
did not have the same ride service."

After this long day, we were at our destination: 30 Linden Street. The
driver guided me off the van towards the steps. I went up to the door. He
helped Candice with her walker. We both went in out of this lovely late
afternoon sunshine. We entered her apartment building, which has a common
entry hall, leading to her apartment. It was a nice reunion, and a time to
reconnect with old friends.

That day was bitter sweet, since we did not know how our lives would change
in 2014. The Ziegler publication was in suspension, and the Uno's, which we
had known and loved, had closed. Candice had moved to Marlboro finding
transportation difficult. We had our next reunion at Uno's in Waltham. In
2015, we are having it at The Mount Vernon, a lovely restaurant in
Somerville. Let us hope the weather cooperates, with a lovely sunny warm
day.

###

Welcome to spring, the season of rebirth

By Ernest Jones

Exuberating joy and thankfulness fill me, driving out the winter blues as I
soar high into the blue yonder. I flap my wings vigorously as I try to
regain some strength I lost from too many long idle winter days. Down below
is a mass of activity - it seems everyone and everything is busy. There are
several people trying to wash the winter's grime from off their cars. There
is a man mowing his small lawn and he is on a riding mower. Why, that lawn
is not much longer than his mower. He should just get a goat and save all
the expense to keep that large riding mower in good condition. Just think
what he could do with a goat - I could even ride it. What would all the
passers-by say when they saw me, this magnificent black bird sitting proudly
on a snow white goat's back. Then that man could get rid of that noisy
riding mower.,.but look at the smile on his face - he must be dreaming,.
“hey, watch out.” Phew, that was close, he almost ran over the cat!"

“Now, there is a real tractor," I caw, as I spy a large caterpillar pulling
a set of 4 plows behind it. The soil is black as it rolls over. This field
is huge, about one mile in one direction and nearly half a mile the other
way - it will soon be green with tiny spears of growing oats.

Then I see yet another interesting sight. Following this huge and noisy
tractor are about 2 dozen Sea Gulls who have landed behind the tractor and
are having a feast on grubs and worms that suddenly are left exposed.
Occasionally the plows will even turn over a gopher and I laugh as these
gulls land on the critter. The gopher never has a chance, even though I know
most are already badly injured. I know Ernie wishes more of these pesky
gophers could be used as Gull food or maybe for coon or possum feed, but
they just seem to multiply!

I circle a little more before landing on the top of my pine tree. Slowly I
stretch my wings and preen my feathers in the growing warmth of early
spring. Then I sit and look around at my land – of course it is my land.
Over to the East I can still see the snow from a recent snowfall. It isn't
much but I know it will still help with spring irrigation. Higher up I can
just make out the taller mountain tops, a bright white against the blue
sky. But I am drawn back to watch those Sea Gulls. Here I am, over 300 miles
from the nearest ocean and I find a bunch of Sea Gulls. Now, don't talk
about us crows being noisy for these Sea Gulls will out-scream any crow. My,
such noise as they fight over the tidbits they find. Why are they here and
not at the beach where they belong? They come here every spring for a few
weeks and then they are gone, leaving behind what seems like a much quieter
place.

I look nearer to my house - of course it is my house - don't I protect and
watch over this place?" The garden has just been tilled and it looks so
smooth and level. Really the soil was just a little too wet but we did not
dare wait any longer for another rain storm could come. I can imagine the
plants that will soon be shooting up from its rich soil. But Ernie wants to
let the garden set another 3 weeks and have it tilled one more time before
planting the early crops. I know he wants to have the early garden planted
by early April - carrots, lettuce, potatoes and of course those delicious
Walla Walla Sweet onions. Already at one end of the garden, the garlic,
planted late last summer, has green shoots up 6 inches or more.

I see the daffodils - already many have been picked to adorn other people's
houses. These cheery flowers that spread so much brightness even in a dark
house are a delight to see. Why, even after a sudden dip in the temperature,
shooting the mercury into the teens these lovely flowers just smile back up
to the morning sun as the ice melts off. They never seem to mind any weather
that is thrown at them. There are the Crown Imperials, those lovely bunches
of bell- like flowers that hang down around the top of the stem, resembling
a royal golden crown. Look at how many we have now, and a few years ago
there were only 2. Too bad Ernie can't sell them for the price one has to
pay out of the catalogs. Why, in the catalog these large bulbs cost around
$8.00 each and I know he has already given dozens of these bulbs away. They
make a beautiful backdrop for the daffodils but sure fill the yard with a
much like a skunk odor.

I fly to the back of the house and observe many birds fighting over the seed
in the bird feeders. Who said these lovely little songbirds are such "nice"
little fellows? Why, they fight worse than any of my kind do, but still I
like having them around. The air is filled with their lovely trills,
whistles and songs. Already they are busy building nests that soon will hold
little specks of life - these little birds, looking more like a large gaping
mouth and tiny body and are always hungry. The poor parent birds are sure
kept busy, but I guess that is their problem. As for me, I enjoy my freedom!

Well, to all my friends, even to you where this cheery spring seems very
late this year, I say, “enjoy life. Take one day at a time and savor its
goodness. If today is not what you want, well watch out, for surely spring
will come to you before long. The downpours will turn to spring showers and
the frozen earth and deep snow banks will become lovely lawns and beautiful
gardens. The once muddy and smelly cow & horse pastures will become sweet
smelling pastures once again. So enjoy life today – don’t worry about
tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself!

Happy Spring from who else but

The Wise Old Crow!

Ernie

AUTHOR OF ONESIMUS, THE RUN-AWAY SLAVE

###

Reading Braille,

By DeAnna Quietwater Noriega

Left hand begins the task,

Right hand finishes.

Left hand slides down to begin the next,

Right hand slips to meet in the middle.

Bumps translate in to words,

And the mind sails off and away.

Thoughts and pictures,

Tell the story,

The gliding hands forgotten.

###

May's promises

By Karen Crowder

As May first dawns,

Northeast winds blowing across New England,

On May 6th, there is a joyous Mexican holiday,

Warmer sun greening trees and grasses,

Lilies and hyacinths bloom sending out their fragrance,

Store racks filled with summer clothing,

Shoe racks filled with the latest "sandals and clogs for hot days,"

Online catalogs showing sun dresses and swimsuits,

Heat arriving in New England by mid May.

Lilacs begin blooming,

their soft sweet scent fleeting,

Ice cream stands and clam shacks open,

Memorial Day arriving with cookouts and parades,

Cape Cod trains begin running throughout summer season,

Daytime cruises going from Boston Harbor to Province town,

Amtrak trains traveling from Boston to Old Orchard beach and Brunswick,
Maine

May ending with hopes of long warm summer days,

###

A Salvation Army Dumpster Escapade

By Steve Brown

Suddenly from above,

The pirate horde wooshes down.

The cacophonus chorus

A kao-kaa, kao-kaa sound

Is garbed in motley greys and white

All about me.

Their savage flight

Landing quickly—with great dispatch—

Our hungry birds take there a snack.

Like flying monkeys in Dorothy’s Oz

A threat manifested

Because of over-abundance caused.

###

The Consumer Vision Trivia Contest ### by Bob Branco

Here is the answer to the trivia question submitted in the March/April
Consumer Vision. There are 6 umpires in a Major League Baseball playoff
game. Congratulations to the following winner:

Russell Carrick of Denver, Colorado

And now, here is your trivia question for the May/June Consumer Vision. Who
was the President of the United States between Grover Cleveland’s two terms
as President? If you know the answer, please email branco182@xxxxxxxxxxx or
call 508-994-4972.

Psalm 103:17
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear
him <http://christianity.about.com/od/topicaldevotions/qt/fearofthelord.htm>
, and his righteousness with their children's children— (NIV)
<http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/p/newinternationa.htm>

To subscribe to Dan's tips or HotSpot with God Daily Devotional, send a
blank message to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx and include "subscribe Dan's Tips" or
Subscribe HotSpot with God" in the subject line.

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org