[access-uk] Re: reading e books

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:40:36 +0100

Jim,

Only just come to this thread and feel there's one avenue no-one's
touched on, which is Adobe Digital Editions, a free eBook reader that
can work with books from Google Play.

Here's some detail from a message I sent to someone a while back on the
same subject:

Google books are mainly available in PDF or ePub formats. When you look
at the detail of a Google book in Google Play - this is the page that
gives you reader reviews and information about the author - there is a
section at the left hand side of the page (I mention this in case you
have some useful vision) where it gives the format of the book. For some
reason it's called "features". If this says "flowing text",  it's an
ePub and should be readable with a screen reader. If it says "scanned
pages", it won't be. Most books for purchase are, I believe, flowing
text.

There is a free ePub reader for the PC called Adobe Digital Editions,
the latest version of which works with most current screen readers, but
not Supernova.

You can get Adobe Digital Editions from:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html

We've got some more information about the application here:
http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsightloss/reading/how/ebooks/accessibil
ity/Pages/digitaleditions.aspx

When you install Adobe Digital Editions, you're asked to sign in with an
Adobe ID - if you don't have one, you can create one using an email
address, and it's free. You need an Adobe ID before you can read
protected books like those from Google.

Then you need to download your book from Google Play. This step can be
tricky but I've just run through it with JAWS 14 and managed it. From
the Google Play site, go to My Books, then find the title of the book
you want to read. With JAWS 14, when I move up one line from this I get
something JAWS gives as "unlabelled zero button menu". Pressing Enter on
this gives a menu with an item "about this book", but for me JAWS didn't
read it out. The first time I tried it, I switched focus to another
screen and then back to my browser and suddenly JAWS was in the menu;
the next time I had to use the JAWS cursor to find it. Once you press
Enter on About this book, another screen opens. Find the heading level 2
called Description, and move up to the How to read tab above it - I had
to use the JAWS cursor again for this, and click it with the mouse.
Finally, on this page there is a Download ePub link which you can use to
get the book onto your computer and into Adobe Digital Editions.
Although you may get the toolbar popup that needs you to press Alt + N
to get to and choose to open the file. Phew.

Hope this helps,
Steve