[access-uk] Re: reading e books

  • From: Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:04:18 +0100

And to add to this I doubt qRead will work with play books but don't know this.

On 30/07/2013 11:43, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi, Ian.
If I may respectfully add to what you say, the Kindle App, like the
Kindle Keyboard, does not work with Google Play at all. Sorry if I
sound cynical, but the whole point of these reading apps is to push
you into a particular book purchase Eco System. Play books will not
work with Kindles, Kindle books will not work with Play, Kobo books
will not work with either, and iBooks will work with none of the
above. The same applies to the Stream, it will not read any of these
books while in their original state. Since Jim is after a book
available on Play, he'll need to read with a reader that will work
with Play books. Obviously, BTW, this all applies if you don't want to
break the DRM, this is either quite simple or impossible, depending on
what you're trying to break, and many people will not do it because it
is a violation of the license agreement.
Aman

On 7/30/13, Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jim, there are many answers to these questions.  I would now say that buying
a Kindle reader From amazon is the least wise option.  There is only one
model which will allow you to read in speech, the Kindle Keyboard.  this is
now an obsolete product as far as Amazon is concerned though it is still
available from other retailers.  However, it gives very limited access to
the text allowing you to read from top to bottom but not for instance,
navigate within.  What has largely replaced it as far as Apple users are
concerned is the Kindle app which gives the same sort of access to texts for
blind people as for sighted.  The app is free, however, you obviously need
to have and run an IOS device.  Alternatively, you could run the app on a
PC, but it does not currently work on Android phones.  The latest version of
the Stream (£250 from Humanware) has greatly improved text to speech voices
and you can therefore read e-texts more satisfactorily than previously.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
6 Market Road
London
N7 9PW
++44 20 7619 7760 ext 7760
++44 7824 900855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk>
Follow us: @disabilitynow

On 30 Jul 2013, at 11:01, Jim McAuslan wrote:

Hi List,

I've been able to source two novels but they are e publications and are
both available from Google

Play.  My question is how do I read an e book?  Will I have to purchase an
app to read them on my pc or on my now ageing Victor Stream.
Should I buy another device such as a kindle, and how VI friendly are
those?
Many thanks

--
Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn