[access-uk] Re: reading e books

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:34:58 +0100

Hi aman, I completely agree that the publishers have been incredibly
foot-dragging over this whole process and it is true that blind people still do
not have the kind of open access to books that sighted people do.  However, I'd
argue that if the price to pay for the kind of access brought by the Kindle app
is that we're forced into buying books from amazon, ', then I'm happy to pay
that price.  And it's worth noting that anyone who chooses to source books in
other and illegal ways or who chooses Jim's option to scan can still have the
texts delivered to and read by the Kindle app using the send documents option.

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
6 Market Road
London
N7 9PW
++44 20 7619 7760 ext 7760
++44 7824 900855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk>
Follow us: @disabilitynow

On 30 Jul 2013, at 12:05, Aman Singer wrote:

Hi.
With respect, I agree, it's a mine field. I don't want to go on a
rant, but we have seen, over the past ten years, the publishing
industry go from not caring about accessibility (printed books are not
accessible by the nature of the product), to being actively hostile to
accessibility (electronic text is accessible to blind users by its
nature, but publishers do their best to make it unusable). The reward
for going through the mines, though, is that you get a book without
errors with nicely divided chapters, and don't get pain in the arms
from scanning. It's particularly great if you have to read in braille,
though the absence of garbage characters is appreciated even when
reading with speech.
Aman

On 7/30/13, Jim McAuslan
<jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi Aman,

I'm using a windows 7 pc.  No I haven't really checked all that stuff
out yet.
It's a bit of a minefield, or is that a nightmare, perhaps both, smile.
Jim
On 30/07/2013 11:44, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi, Jim.
I'm sorry, I ought to have been more specific. What type of PC do you
have (Mac, Windows, or Linux?). What screen reader do you use if you
use Windows or Linux? Do you use a braille display? Finally, are you
able to determine whether the books you want are available for
download to reader or can only be read online through Google's reader?
Aman

On 7/30/13, Jim McAuslan
<jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi Aman,

Besides my Victor Stream I use my pc for reading text books, mainly
those I have scanned myself.

Jim
On 30/07/2013 11:25, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi.
Google Play books are a bit odd and how they can be read depends upon
whether they are available in Epub format and what AT you have. If I
may ask, what do you have available besides the Victor Stream? The
stream will not work with these books in the majority of cases.
If anyone knows of a way that is certain to work with all Google Play
books, I, for one, would appreciate hearing of it.
Aman

On 7/30/13, Jim McAuslan
<jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jim.mcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi List,

I've been able to source two novels but they are e publications and
are
both available from Google

Play.  My question is how do I read an e book?  Will I have to
purchase
an
app to read them on my pc or on my now ageing Victor Stream.
Should I buy another device such as a kindle, and how VI friendly are
those?
Many thanks

--
Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn
Minds are like parachutes!

** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
the Subject:- faq

** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
the Subject:- faq

This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
http://www.iomartcloud.com/