[access-uk] Re: overdrive!

  • From: Yusuf Osman <yusuf.osman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:42:30 +0000

I tend to agree with this. Yes if I had been setting the service up and money
was no object I'd have done something different. But I wasn't and money is
always the object. For me being able to get the books I want, when I want is
well worth the extra effort of navigating a web site that isn't the easiest.
I've transferred over from the regular TB service, and along with my Audible
subscription and Kindle and IBooks on my IPhone it gives me greater access to
books than I would have thought possible a few years ago.

It would have been fantastic if the RNIB had been able to have their own
bespoke system, but I can't even begin to imagine how much that would have
cost, to set up let alone manage. Does anyone remember all the down time with
the book stream system? I never signed up to it, but I'm sure I remember
regular complaints about it going down.

It isn't going to be for everyone but then there's still the traditional TB
service and the USB stick one as well. And we are being promised a new
catalogue next year which will allow traditional TB members access to their
book lists.
Yusuf