[access-uk] Re: ocean tv talking set top box

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:31:58 +0000

One of the problems to the best of my knowledge is that the digital TV
standards were largely drawn up without any real knowledge or design to make
them accessible and this is what has caused the delay in making these things
accessible because now you are trying to create and develop accessible systems
where there were not before.  For the last thirty years or so we have lived in
a age where Governments and authorities are generally warned off regulation in
order not to stifle innovation and commerce.  Not unsurprising linked with that
were also economic incentives for the headlong plunge into digital services.
Light touch regulation has in some part allowed genuine innovation and freedom
of commerce but in some ways has also left smaller interest groups without much
leverage.  Also Offcom does seem to be really as powerful as say their
equivalent the FCC in the states who have quite directly caused the iPhone to
become accessible when Apple really would have had no interest in making it so.

High speed broadband rollout will take years because of the chronic under
investment that the data infrastructure in the UK has suffered for years.
Thirty or so years ago it was almost decided that a fibre optic network should
be built (under another Labour Government) and we are only seeing fibre up to
the door in very small patches even now.

With the right will behind it I don't think it would be that hard to put some
hardware together that could access something like iPlayer or similar on demand
equivalent with speech.  Going back to the Pure Sonos radios, the problem
seemed to be that somehow Pure were lead to believe that a much bigger market
for them existed than the subsequent sales turned out to be.

On the positive side I think in the long term things will move towards
accessibility partly because ordinary non-disabled people are beginning in some
areas to accept the kind of the technology that most on this list are already
familiar with such as electronic speech for sat navs.  On the same front In the
States there is already a push to connect the car to online services using
electronic speech so that drivers can give speech commands and have text
messages and even Twitter Tweets read back whilst driving.  I think once the
generation of people who experience that come through and perhaps a few
eventually get picked off into visual impairment due to age related sight loss
issues they will begin expect things to remain accessible.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road