[access-uk] Windows update help

  • From: "marie baisez" <m.baisez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:50:36 +0100

Hi all,
This morning when I connected to check my mail, I was notified that there were updates for my computer to be downloaded. Assuming that they were critical updates as I thought my computer was set up to pick up only these, I clicked on the download button without checking what they were.
I then read on this mailing list that the removal tool for spyware for microsoft is inaccessible and a beta version. When I go to instal the updates I notice that they are, I think, but can't be sure, as it asks me to accept a licensed agreement which critical updates don't usually do, this removal tool.
I do not wish to instal this at the moment since it is a beta version and is inaccessible.
I have several questions about this, 1, where do I reset my system to only download and instal critical updates? 2 where can I find this file to delete it as I do not know its name?
3, If I installed this, assuming it is the update that is inaccessible, would it run in the background and do its job without causing problems or does it need to be configured?
I found a folder in my Windows folder dated of to-day called: $hf_mig$ Is this the folder I should delete?
If I installed the software, would restoring my pc to an earlier time uninstal the program?
If I can't find the folder to delete it, how do I stop the notice updates are ready to instal from appearing on my system tray? at least as a temporary measure while the accessibility problem is resolved?

I run xp home edition service pack 2 installed with jfw 5.1 by the way with ie6 and a slow dial up connection, ADSL not yet available in my eria and don't have a lot of technical expertise around me at the moment so count on your guidance and advice.

Thanks a lot to all for taking the time to help

Cheers now,

Marie.

** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq