[access-uk] Re: Windows update help

  • From: "Douglas Harrison" <harrisondf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:58:26 -0000

Marie,
I don't use the automatic update feature but regularly run windows
Update and see which, if any, critical updates are recommended.  I did
this yesterday evening and there were 2, one  being called Malicious
Software Removal tool.  Without really thinking I downloaded and
installed both, and as far as I can tell everything on this XP Pro system
is OK.   I think that this is something quite separate from the MS
Spyware software referred to on this list as being in beta stage of
development.

If you really needed to remove the item from your system you  will
probably find it in the Add/Remove of Control Panel - I think it has the
number KB 890830 but I don't think that should be necessary.

I feel certain that Microsoft would not make available as a critical
update anything that was still in beta.

Douglas

--

Douglas Harrison