[access-uk] Re: Vodaphone contacts

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:50:25 -0000

well all I can say is you'd better believe it because it's true.  the
problem is essentially that mobile phones have such a stupidly short life
cycle that it is difficult for manufacturers to produce software and keep it
accessible with the latest products.

The life cycles of phones are so short that manufacturers just don't get
time to test them either so we get phones that have serious usability
problems.  The N70 for example is a good phone but it has one big problem.
the camera cover on the back of the phone sticks out and it can easily slide
open in your pocket.  This is dealt with by putting a bit of tape on it to
stop the cover sliding open and activating the camera, causing batteries to
be drained.

The nokia 6630 is a good phone.  I quite like it but the media card door on
the side is very flimsy and the way the back cover fits does not inspire
confidence.  Also it is easy to press up or down rather than select on the
joypad.

I could go on, but while technology is changing at this rate, mobile users
are having to put up with shoddy products while manufacturers of access
technology are desperately struggling to keep up.

The industery needs to slow down a little and concentrating on getting
things right.

On this subject, does anyone really think tht TV on mobiles will be an
instant success?  They can't even get ordinary coverage universally good but
again it's about doing anything to get short term cash off the consumer.

regards

Graham