[access-uk] Re: Triple A resizing

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 06:17:20 -0000

Ah, sorry, Eleanor.  My mistake.

I see your point now.  Is it that the triple A's are very distinctive on a
web page so a partially sighted person could look for them and adjust
accordingly, then be able to use the site that they would not normally be
able to use?

Still, I maintain that it is training for use of the technology that
partially sighted people use, such as Windows, that would enable partially
sighted users to magnify their IE menu's, as well as the menu's for the rest
of the computer, and so be able to adjust font size on correctly coded web
pages.

The use of the 'Triple A' seems to smack of sighted people thinking that
they know what visually impaired users want yet, for all their good
intentions, they miss the point that this hand-holding is stifling a
partially sighted persons use of web sites that don't use the triple A's.

Cynically, I feel that it could even be a propaganda tool, being overtly
visually impaired friendly. If a site is going to start having built in
access technology, then where is the built in speech, built in sign
language, and built in voice recognition?

Cheers

Barry

From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/02/2009 10:02 pm

Hi Eleanor

It's not actually special software.  If the web site is built properly, then
the text can be re-sized using the web browser.  In Internet Explorer, it's
a sub menu in the view menu.

Cheers

Barry

From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/02/2009 12:38 pm

Hi all

Firstly, sorry for the cross posting.  I would like to get as many opinions
as possible on this one.

What's your views on the triple A that appears on sites to show that you can
increase the text size? Do you think there is a need to clutter the page
when you have the facility on your operating platform?

Cheers

Barry