[access-uk] Re: To Mike Moore about setting up yahoo mail in OE

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:11:18 +0000

Hi Lyn, Mike and Andrew.

Hello! I might as well make myself useful, so I'll get cracking!

Andrew; you're correct in that this is what Yahoo TELLS you to do,
however, I very much doubt you'll find it works in practise, unless
you've got a premium account, or one of the flukey accounts it seems
to work on!

As far as Lyn's iPops suggestion goes, that will also work, but be
warned! It's against Yahoo's T&C and I lost access to an account for
24 hours when I was "locked out" when a similar application I was
trying called YahooPops was detected being used. Just be aware of
that.

Probably the easiest is to just use the Import function of a Gmail
account - that way you can get all the nice filtering and spam
reduction on import, and I didn't seem to get done in for using it.

This is because it only does 25 or so at a time. Yes, it'll probably
take 24 hours to import a big account (thousands in my case) but it
worked 100% AND it imported all my addresses from my Yahoo account.
And once you have the email in your gmail account, you can of course
take full advantage of the IMAP service, so you'll be able to read an
reply on your local machine, but it'll also stay synched on gmail too
if you were away from your home pc.

Here's the guide:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=25413&topic=25415

Hope this (also) helps!