[access-uk] Thoughts on Windows 7

  • From: James Scholes <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:58:49 +0000

Earlier today, I installed Windows 7 on a new partition on my Samsung NC10
netbook, and so far, I have to say I'm impressed. I'm still not a fan of the
way they've layed some stuff out in the control panel, folder views etc, and I
was shocked that they've removed all classic view options, but putting those
things aside, I can tell, even after about only an hour of using it that it is
much better than Vista will ever be. Its fast, especially after I disabled all
the visual rubbish, and I was pleased to see that the installation was very
easy to complete. It kept my XP installation intact, and just presents me with
a boot menu when I start the machine. Most of the install could be used with
Narator, another thing which I was surprised about, and it worked out of the
box with all my hardware devices. The JAWS install was a bit problematic, as I
didn't notice a Windows Security dialog, but after I'd got past that everything
worked fantastically. So, overall, my first impressions are good. I have
noticed a few bugs, but nothing that would make the OS unusable. Its
interesting to see that all the standard dialog boxes that you would find in
XP, like the System settings box, are still there in Windows 7, but they are
just hidden behind a new, shiny interface which honestly, will take some
getting used to.

--Check out my radio and TeamTalk server! http://www.jls-radio.com
--
James Scholes

E-mail: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN/Windows Live Messenger: jamesscholes@xxxxxxx
AIM: JamesScholes000
Skype: james.scholes
Website: http://www.jamesscholes.com
Blog: http://www.jamesscholes.com/blog
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jamesscholes
Find me on Facebook! Username: jamesscholes
Link to Facebook profile:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1375965156&hiq=jamesscholes
Last.FM Profile: http://www.last.fm/user/jamesscholes000
Message sent at 01:52:38 PM GMT on Saturday, January 10, 2009