[access-uk] Re: Text to audio transcription?

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:32:54 -0000

If the course material is printed it can be scanned and converted to text
files using OCR software or, even better, the originator of the material
could provide the text in a .txt or .doc file.

These files than be converted to speech using K1000 or Texthelp Read&Write.
The resulting files can be saved as MP3 files that can be read using an MP3
player or burned to a CD in CDA or MP3 format.

Alternatively, if your organisation has a Book Courier or Book Port, the
files can be loaded onto one of these as .txt files to be read using the
built-in speech synthesiser.

As for the diagrams, the only way of handling these would be to have them
described by a human being!

If the material is from a course, at what level is the course - if it is HE
then the student will qualify for DSA support with human support and
equipment.  Also, the recent SENDA legislation makes it an obligation on
educators to make reasonable adjustments...

Barry G