[access-uk] Re: TEXTING WITH TALKS

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:02:41 +0100

Hi Ray,

To make texting even more persuasive, I have a program on my phone called
Mini GPS from Psiloc http://www.psiloc.com, which allows you to trigger
events based on cell-based location.  So when you get to a location, say on
the train, you can trigger certain actions, such as making the phone alarm
you to tell you that we are there.  One of those actions you can trigger is
an automatic text, which you have pre-written.  So because I travel a lot on
the train, whin I reach Kings Cross, I have my phone automagically send a
text message to Angie that says "Be home in half an hour or so".  Because of
possible delays, it then sends another text when I reach Knebworth, the
station before mine, that says "Five minutes", and so she gets an idea of
where I am, and with all the stuff going on in London, this is reassuring
for her at the moment <Smile>.

So what I am trying to say is that based on the location, not the time, my
phone automagically sends Angie SMS messages with progress reports of my
journey.

I also use it sometimes if my sister is picking me up from the station.  It
throws her a text when I am a quarter of an hour away.

Now, with voice mail, this would be far more tedious to do, since for a
start, I can still be asleep on the train, while my phone is sending texts
in the background.  But once my phone throws the final text, it also
triggers an alarm to wake me up <Smile>.

Is that persuasive?

All the best
mobile:  +44(0)7956 334938,
Email:  Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web site:  http://www.comproom.co.uk <http://www.comproom.co.uk/>

  _____

From: Steve  <mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Nutt uk] Re: TEXTING WITH TALKS

Hi Ian,

In my view, your blind friend is right.  Once you get used to it, you will
probably never want to turn it off again, but it does take some getting used
to at first.  But persevere with it, and it saves time, certainly.