[access-uk] Sonata Internet Radio, Your Thoughts

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:44:56 +0100

Hello Tony and all,

The Sonata arrives with 12 stations installed. You can delete as many of these
as you like. You can also add as many as you like. The order in which the
stations appear in your list can be altered as you wish. It is also possible to
move up the list from the last station on the list, by pressing the, "down",
button as you enter the menu for your stations, and on my list which has 21
stations, I am then on station 21.

The simplest way to alter your list, is to phone the Wireless for the Blind
office, and they will make the changes you require. If you are
computer-confident, you can manage your list yourself, you will have to arrange
for a password to be placed onto the system. If the station you wish to add to
your list is not in the database, then phone the office and request it to be
added to the general database, and at the same time to your list. This can be
done while you are on the phone, and you can test immediately if the station is
added.

From time to time, stations will appear to be on the Sonata list, but will not
play. The most likely cause, is a change to the web site address of the
station. Simply contact the WftB office, and they will find the changed web
site address, and update the general database, and your Sonata will play it
again. Of course, there is also the possibility that the station has ceased
broadcasting.

A very popular and recent addition to the database, is the BBC Live Events
Streams. This presently has 20 streams sitting as a sub-menu under one title.
Broadcasts there include cricket, rugby, live music, and more. While a live
event is being streamed, say a 4 day cricket match, the stream number will stay
the same for the event. Once the event is over, that channel will be used for
another live event. So, if you have a favourite cricket County, you will have
to search all 20 channels to find which one is used when the next match is
streamed.

Paul Benson.