[access-uk] Re: Raspberry PI

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman.singer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:35:08 -0500

Hi, Mike and all.
I'm afraid I've reached the end of my not very considerable resources with
the PI I have here. I would, of course, love to hear from anyone who has
gotten further with it than I have, or who has any better ideas. My
difficulty is really a lack of Linux knowledge and an inability to solder.
First, the unit is perfectly accessible to get started with over the
network. I had a sighted person here, but he was not really necessary except
to get through the setup screens on the distro I happened to download, the
beginner's distro which is based on Debian. Nothing is easier than to SSH
into the unit, everything works well on that front.
        I have tried both Speakup and BRLTTY. I have had very little success
with Speakup, not even being able to get it to run, but BRLTTY seems to be
working in Braille, at least. I have heard, on the Speakup list, that there
is something wrong with the sound driver on the Pi itself which causes
Speakup to cut in and out to the point where it is unusable. This was about
three months ago now, so I'm not sure whether it still applies. I have not
heard of any BRLTTY users with the PI, but it may well be that I haven't
known where to look.
        It is worth noting that there is a serial console built into the
unit, but it requires soldering to a few pins on the board, as far as I
know. If anyone knows of a way to get access to this serial console with a
cable one plugs in, it would be, I think, most useful, allowing one to play
with the kernel and so on without the risk of having the access devices
themselves fail and lock the user out of the machine without network access.
        It would be good to hear from anyone who has gotten further with the
unit, and particularly nice to hear from anyone who has actually gotten it
talking.
Aman