[access-uk] Re: Raspberry PI

  • From: "Michael Ray" <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:42:45 -0000

I haven't missed the point of the Raspberry Pi at all.

The guys that have created it have been heard on Radio Four saying the way ICT is taught in schools does nothing more than teach kids how to be a secretary and that Microsoft is god. I agree with that sentiment.

But the way to teach a kid how to be a programmer is different now than it was thirty years ago.

Sure it is good for running a webcam, or as a data-logger, as a radio ham I could probably find uses for it in my radio shack. But it is never going to fire-up thousands of kids imaginations when they would be better off with a PC and one of the thousands of downloadable and free programming tools around.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan H" <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>