[access-uk] Re: Payment plans for access technology?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:09:33 +0100

Added to what Steve says, it is more complicated than that.
Businesses are generally not permitted to do this kind of thing
without being registered under one of the Finance Acts.  However, in
theory one can recommend a lender.

One might suggest that this is an ideal thing for the likes of
R.N.I.B. to provide.  However it was tried by the Royal Victorian
Institute for the Blind in Australia a while back, and they lost
thousands with people defaulting on payments.

Unfortunately we live in a society where credit ratings tend to rule
the roost, and consequently an unemployed blind person on benefits is
not considered a good risk.

George.