[access-uk] Re: Olympus Voice Recorders

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 12:06:53 +0100

Michael,

The dn550 fulfills **all** your recommendation, not sure how much buffering
there is but sure some.

To start recording from cold, slide switch down and hold for a moment until
you hear the sound, whereby announcement of battery status.  Machine is
instantly ready to record, just press button near other end on right side,
you hear a short tone, recording is in progress.  Supports WMA, Wav and MP3
all in various rates.

I don't use mine daily or for very long times at a go, but having been to
Germany this time last year, for a few days, I took two sets of batteries,
it takes two AAA size, not sure if they can be charged in the unit but I
suspect they can from the USB connection.  When I left the UK the batteries
had been in the unit for about six weeks, I did a great deal of recording
whilst in Germany, probably around fifty hours, I needed to change the
batteries last November.  I have the same ones in now since then and having
been away on a conference during 9-12 May, where I recorded well over twenty
hours, the batteries stijll register high.

These, however, are the very highest quality alcali dry cells I can obtain,
not sure of their price, suspect around 4 quid a packet of 4.

Hope this is of use for you.

Colin Howard, by the Lord's  providence has lived at
his present address near Fareham in Southern
England,  since February 1992.