[access-uk] Re: Netflix introduces audio description!

  • From: Niall Gallagher <nialljg91@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:28:15 +0100

Hi,

Just signed up for the free month of Netflix to benefit from the addition
of AD.
However, English Audio Description is not present in the language options
as in the Blind Abilities podcast demo.

I'm currently in Ireland, and I thought Netflix Ireland would be the same
as the UK.
I used Netflix on the iPhone, am I incorrect in some way?

Kind regards,

Niall

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Vanja Sudar <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good morning everyone.

This is some great news and something that we have been waiting for long
time. Finally a mainstream TV streaming company introduces audio
description! This is available on Android, IOS and I assume the website. I
personally haven’t used it yet, but reports on social media show quite a
few people using it successfully.

Here’s the blogpost from Netflix themselves explaining the details.
http://blog.netflix.com/2015/04/netflix-begins-audio-description-for.html?spref=tw

Please don’t let the blog title worry you, though the title refers only to
US and Canada AD is available within any English region.

Here are instructions on how to enable AD on Netflix on most popular
platforms. http://blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=12652

Here’s an audio demo of Netflix AD being used on IOS:
https://audioboom.com/boos/3085851-netflix-audio-description-on-the-iphone-demo-blindabilities?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I realise that currently they only have *one** show audio described, but as
the blog post said, there’ll be more to come. Whatever people may think,
surely this is a step forward in a right direction and will hopefully give
other mainstream companies such as amazon food for thought.