[access-uk] Re: Netflix introduces audio description!

  • From: lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:28:01 +0100

And I bet he doesn't have super powers either.

Ian Macrae writes:

coincidentally the chef in the canteen here at work has just mentioned this
series to me. Bet the actor isn’t blind though.

Ian Macrae
Commissioning Editor
Disability Now
Tel +44(20) 7619 7760
Mob +44(07)824 900 855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/>
follow us @disabilitynow<https://twitter.com/DisabilityNow> -
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Disability-Now/448258551882688> and
sign up to our eNewsletter
here<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/newsletter-subscription>
Disability Now, 6-10 Market Road, London, N7 9PW

On 15 Apr 2015, at 13:05,
lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good - I won't cancel my subscription now.

My daughter tells me that there is a Netflix original series called
"Dare Devils" that features a blind super hero. There was a bit of a
hoo haa about this in the US because a program featuring a blind super
hero was inaccessable to the blind. I think this series became the
first AD program on Netfflix. I've no idea of the veracity of this ,
its just what my daughter told me today.

Vanja Sudar writes:
Good morning everyone.

This is some great news and something that we have been waiting for long
time. Finally a mainstream TV streaming company introduces audio
description! This is available on Android, IOS and I assume the website. I
personally haven't used it yet, but reports on social media show quite a few
people using it successfully.

Here's the blogpost from Netflix themselves explaining the details.
http://blog.netflix.com/2015/04/netflix-begins-audio-description-for.html?sp
ref=tw

Please don't let the blog title worry you, though the title refers only to
US and Canada AD is available within any English region.

Here are instructions on how to enable AD on Netflix on most popular
platforms. http://blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=12652

Here's an audio demo of Netflix AD being used on IOS:
https://audioboom.com/boos/3085851-netflix-audio-description-on-the-iphone-d
emo-blindabilities?utm_campaign=detailpage
<https://audioboom.com/boos/3085851-netflix-audio-description-on-the-iphone-
demo-blindabilities?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=s
ocial&utm_source=twitter>
&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I realise that currently they only have *one** show audio described, but as
the blog post said, there'll be more to come. Whatever people may think,
surely this is a step forward in a right direction and will hopefully give
other mainstream companies such as amazon food for thought.

--
Les Smithson
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--