[access-uk] Re: Map network drive

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:11:45 +0100

Marie.

The first thing you need to do is share the drives and or folders/files

Window swill warn you that it's not recommended. that you share th eroot of a drive. One reason behidn this is in theory if your network is compromised from the outside or inside the drive could be deleted or locked system files could be hacked.

I share roots of some drives here, but I do have a secure network.

Ahoy the first thing you need to do before being able to map a drive is to share it. So that it appears in network places.

And I'll be a nice wee fella and tell you how to do this.

This applys for files or folders or drives. The options may be slightly different but not much.

Sharing a drive.

1.  Go to the drives properties.

2.  Click on the sharing tab.

3. You'll see a link that will say, "To protect your computer from unauthorized access, sharing the
root of a drive is not recommended.
If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the
drive, click here. "

Hit space on that.

4.Tab to share this folder ont he network checkbox, unchecked and check it.

5. The next is a judgement call, tab to allow users to change my files and decide if you want to change this. Basically this gives users in yoru network access to rename, delete, move, copy, open whatever files are being shared.

If you dont' tick this you'll still be able to open the files just not delete, rename, or move them. Or if their a word document you'll not be able to hit ctrl s and save it int he current location you'll have to do a save as and save your edited copy elsewhere.

Tab to apply, and I then follow th eprompts. I'd say yes to apply the attribute changes otherwise it'll not share that drive folder etc.

Once you've this completed move to another system on your network and make sure you can see the drives. To map them simply go to tools whilst you have the drive highlighted and hit enter on map network drives.

It's a wizard so follow the prompts.

If yoru stuck on something in perticular just shout.

Sorry for typos am just rushing off and wanted to get this out before I stepped away.
Dj Paddy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie Baisez" <marie.baisez@xxxxxxxxxx>