[access-uk] Re: Looking for a 3g mobile package

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 23:17:10 +0000

Just be very VERY careful about 3g data roaming abroad - surprise
bills of £400 a week are not uncommon.

Before new limits were enforced last year, stories like this abounded:
"One German traveller faced a bill of 46,000 euros ($56,436; £37,593)
for downloading a film while in France. A UK student was also reported
to have received a bill for 9,000 euros ($11,031; £7,349) for one
month while studying abroad." Fortunately, there are new caps in
force: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10462298

Your statement "I have a videophone sim card and I can use it abroad
and it doesn't cost me very much" is very vague and doesn't make much
sense.
All simcards can be used with any phone that does video - but were you
using it for video? And when you say "over here", where is that?
For some reason, I have it in the back of my mind that you're in
Northern Ireland. If so, I'm not sure you'll have much luck. It has
the unenviable reputation of "most expensive in Europe" for many
things, from broadband to filling the car up with petrol, to
insurance.

Anyway, back to the point - just be really careful with whatever deal
you get, and get a package with limits, but brace yourself for £1 or
more per MB when roaming.
The way most people seem to get caught out is when they forget about
apps and widgets updating in the background. My phone uses 4Mb/day
just updating google. weather, facebook and news.
If I was roaming, that would be £28 per week!