[access-uk] Learn Direct. What's next?

  • From: "Christine Weetman" <goatmum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "access uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:51:56 +0100

Hi All. Phew! Another problem I am having with Learn Direct!

I tried signing up for a computer starter course 2 years ago, but I was told
there courses were not yet accessable, but were being sorted.  In short, I went
to our local college and did 2 moduals of OCR level one.  I won't go into my
experiences with the college, lets just say they were not good, but I got my
pass certificate in the end.

I decided I wanted to complete my level one online with Learn Direct so I made
all the usual enquiries and asked the questions we ask about accessability.  I
was assured there was no no problem and I signed up over a week ago.

No, I haven't managed to access my learning though I have been able to email
with my personal tutor whom I had to beg for as no-one had assigned me one for
what seemed Ages.

I just thought my course may have not been set up and running so I kept making
more enquiries off my tutor who told me she was looking into it.

Me being me, got fedup of waiting and emailed in to the main learn direct help
desk, and the email below is what I recieved back from them.

What I want to know from anyone on here is:
What do I do now?  Isn't it my right to have access to education?  How Do I go
about enfforcing this and whom would help me?

Regards Christine W
RE: learn direct.

Dear Christine,

Thank you for your enquiry to learndirect Learner Services. We are sorry to
hear of the difficulties you are experiencing in accessing your course. I hope
the following information will answer your query.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you.

The problems with your course not loading may be related to your computer not
having the appropriate software selected or installed.

In order to launch your course, you will need to download a piece of software
called Flash. Flash allows you to experience animation and entertainment in
your Web browser and for developing rich internet content and applications.

Below is a step-by-step guide to downloading Flash from the learndirect web
site.

1.      Please click on the following link:
http://www.learndirect.co.uk/personal/helpandadvice/techfaq/troubleshoot1/troubleshoot5/

2.      Click on the link labelled 'Get the Flash Player' located at the top of
this page.
3.      This will then take you to the Flash player download page. Untick the
'Yahoo toolbar bar install option' and then click on the 'install now button'.

4.      Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation
5.      Once the installation has been completed please restart your P.C for
the changes to take affect.

The course also requires a piece of software called Authorware for your course
to run successfully.

Authorware is a tool used to help your computer display graphics, animations
and assessments. Without Authorware, your course cannot be displayed.

6.      In order to install Macromedia Authorware Version 5.2 and version 7.0,
please click on the following link:
http://www.electricpaper.ie/support/webplayers.asp

7.      This will then take you to the Authorware player download page and you
will need to click on the online version 'Authorware 5.2 installer' button
and read the on screen information

8.      You may be prompted to accept a security warning for the installation
to complete. Please accept this warning and continue to complete the
installation

9.      You will then need to click on 'When install is complete click here to
return to Demos' and follow the same process to install version 7.0

10.     Once the installations have been completed please restart your P.C for
the changes to take affect.

In additional to your request, regarding JAWS being able to read flash, I have
forwarded this query to the relevant department to look into and respond
as soon as possible.

2135

"Technical advice given on behalf of Ufi Limited is subject to the limitations
and exclusions of liability contained in the Terms & Conditions available
at
www.learndirect.co.uk.
Please check those Terms and Conditions before using the technical advice
provided".