[access-uk] Land Line Telephones

  • From: Pele West <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Access UK <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 11:11:16 GMT

Hi Everyone

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on a strange problem we are having
with our new phones that plug in. I hope this is not considered
off-topic for this list.

Peter and I recently bought two new BT Decor 2200 telephones. These
phones plug into sockets on the wall. Our house was cabled with lots of
extension sockets before cordless phones became popular. All the sockets
have broadband filters plugged in as well.

These phones work fine except that they only give the second part of the
ring tone and, if you want to use the monitor, you cannot just press the
button and get the dialling tone, you have to pick up the receiver, get
the tone, put it down again and then press the button.

I have tried one of the phones in all the sockets in the house, except
the master socket and it does not work correctly. But we have an old
phone which we have had for about 25 years which works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the wiring is different on modern phones? Or does
anyone have any suggestions as to how I can put things right (apart from
taking the phones back).

Pele West