[access-uk] Re: JAWS no speech problem

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:26:16 +0100

Hi Ray

He could try Insert+V, if JAWS has muted the synthesiser then this should make it work again. Failing that, he could check to see what the default synthesiser is by opening the default configuration file. Press Insert+F2 and select Configuration Manager by pressing C once then enter, then select 'synthesizer options' from the settings menu. His default synthesiser might be set to 'no speech', and this could explain things. If this doesn't work, he could try running JAWS using the Microsoft text-to-speech engine to see if the problem is with Eloquence. Also if he is running certain anti-virus software like Norton, this can sometimes mean that JAWS takes a minute or more to launch.

If it's not any of that then it sounds like his sound card might have a problem. I remember on this list a while ago there was a message about a free program you can download which will allow you to make presets for your sound mixer settings and assign them to hotkeys, this would be a good workaround.

Hope some of this might help.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>