[access-uk] Re: Interesting Lecture on Standby/Sleep

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:43:15 +0100

        I'd recommend shutting your computer off entirely to save on power
consumption, as well as to prolong the life of the machine itself. As to the
risk of being hacked, it's all relative. A machine that's turned off can't
be hacked, so if the machine is on, you naturally increase the risk. That
said, your machine remains as protected during sleep or stand by as it does
whilst in use. That's nothing to do with the state of the machine, just how
good your firewall etc. is.

        Good advice, but not necessarily for the reasons given I should
think.

Léonie.

--
http://www.tink.co.uk/