[access-uk] Re: HUMANWARE ITEMS

  • From: Carol Pearson <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 10:52:35 +0000

Thanks, David, for your explanation. I think I will leave well alone! Smiley

Carol P
Sent from my iPhone using MBraille

On 3 Mar 2015, at 3:56 pm, David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know nothing about the EyePal Ace which sounds a newer product but I have had
an EyePal scanner since 2008 and whilst it has provided a lot of scanning for
me I could not recommend it for purchase.

The main problem is not with the camera scanner itself but the dreadful and
buggy software which you are pretty much compelled to use, at least for the
actual scanning. The camera driver does not display as a generic scanner which
prevents it being used by programs such as Abby.
The list of deficiencies with the EyePal/Zoom Office  software are too numerous
to list all here but I detailed all of them to Humanware years ago to pass onto
the developers but this had absolutely no affect.

The software is poorly implemented. Whether it successfully recognizes a
connected scanner at all is pot luck and it tends to crash unpredictably. It
will always crash for example if you inadvertently try to scan a blank page in
a book, this is a big fault for a product which claimed to be usable by blind
people. A new version of the Windows Software appeared last year but I have
never managed to successfully get it to recognize its scanner camera under
Windows 7 and had to eventually revert to the driver from an earlier version.
The Eye pal was advertised as supporting the Mac but  the Mac software no
longer works under Yosemite and Humanware tell me that they have no knowledge
of when or if it will be updated so that Mac users can still use their scanner.
so on the Mac side at least you can have no confidence that the hardware will
be properly supported.

Back on Windows you should allegedly be able to get the scanner to work with
Kurzweil but again I have tried this on 4 differnt Windows machines and setups
and have never managed to get it to work on any of them using Kurzweil 13.4.

The best way of using the scanner is to let it create books, which are saved as
jpg image files of each page and then use something like Abbey Finereader or
Kurzweil to convert these jpg images into a Word Document.

David Griffith