[access-uk] Re: For those using Gmail, I've cracked it!

  • From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:03:20 +0100

Hi Douglas, thanks for letting me know about this. Yes, I agree, the
basic HTML view, when set to US english, is very screen reader friendly,
but like you say Google "forgot" to implement this when set to UK
English. However, I am confident that they will get round to it as soon
as possible. Also, thanks for assuring me that Gmail will rarely go out.
I may switch over full time either over the weekend or next week,
depending on when I'm subscribed to all the lists I've subscribed to.
I'm subscribed to all but one, which is the Deaf Blind Friends, to which
my subscription still needs to be approved (Christine, hurry up, lol!).
Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you.
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:45:00 +0100, "Douglas Harrison"
<harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Christopher, There seem to be more changes to the Basic View interface if
> working with US English set.  The Send  button in the Compose dialogue
> has always been difficult to activate, but I put this down to Hal!  But
> now it
> seems to work first time and getting data into the correct fields is much
> easier.
>
> My guess is that Google redesigned the Basic interface taking into
> account
> requests from screen reader users, but never got round to implementing it
> for languages other than US English.
>
> And by the way, in another message you refer to your reluctance to switch
> totally to Gmail until you are certain that it does not have "outages" of
> any
> type on a regular basis.   personally I don't think that you need have
> any
> concerns on this score - over the last 15 months I can only remember
> having one occasion on which I could not access my Google acount
> immediately when required.  As I am still on a dial up connection,
> logging
> on is sometimes slow, but that is not Google's fault.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Douglas
>

> On 27 Jul 2007 at 9:07, Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
>
> > Aww Douglas, not a problem! I discovered this purely by accident when I
> > changed the language to English (UK). The page layout altered, and, like
> > you, I could no longer change the settings within the basic view. So I put
> > it back and all was well again. Maybe one or both of us could contact
> > Google and comment about it. For those using Mozilla Firefox, if you
> > disable javascript from within tools, options, content, and you go to the
> > home page of your Gmail account, you'll first be told that you can't
> > access the standard view. Just ignore and click the first "click here"
> > link to switch to the basic view. Hope that helps. On Fri, 27 Jul 2007
> >

> --
>
> Douglas Harrison

Christopher Hallsworth
E-mail: chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name chrishallsworth7266
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx

Why not join the Blind Hobbyist mailing list! To subscribe, send a blank
message to blind-hobbyist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx