[access-uk] Re: Defragmenting

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:27:21 +0100

I beg to differ here.

If you run a defragger like Executive Software's Disk Keeper and run th eanalysis it'll tell you how defragged your drive is and that's on NTFS.

It'll read something like this below which I've just doen on one of my drives,

Analysis Completed
Findings on E:
Diskeeper has completed analysis of this volume and found 272 fragmented files and/or directories
and 3185 excess fragments.
The average number of fragments per file is 1.04.
This volume is moderately fragmented, with 10% of the total volume space available for
defragmentation. This level of free space is so low that performance is suffering from that fact alone.
Indeed, fragmentation is the least of your worries under these conditions. Clear some files off this
volume to achieve a minimum of 20% free space for acceptable performance. If you haven't run
Diskeeper on this volume yet, it is time to do so. If you have run Diskeeper on this volume, you
should schedule Diskeeper to run more often than it has been running to reduce the current
fragmentation and maintain a lower level of fragmentation.
checked Show this screen after analysis. OK

i know several people who are A+ certified who sayou do need to defrag still today. Perhaps not as often but you do need to. And I'd personally recommend disk keepr.

Dj Paddy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>