[access-uk] Cable, Freeview or Freesat

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:32:24 -0000

Hi all,

We've been Cable customers for ages but are considering moving either to Freeview or Freesat and would be grateful if you could help us to look at these alternatives as we don't know a great deal. The cost is obviously going to be one benefit, since we're only going to have one initial layout, presumably? Primarily, though, for various reasons we're tired of being tied to Cable and just a few, rather unknowledgeable engineers who visit.

This has all recently come to a head as, with various movings around, our workable setup has gone wrong once again and no current Cable engineer seems to be able to put it right and we have no knowledgeable friends who can either. I should explain that our setup to date has been that our TV has retained the terestial channels for our use primarily so that we could continue to use our analog video, with Cobolt's handset. In addition, Cable was tuned to another channel so we didn't miss anything there we wanted, plus audio description, of course. This gave us real flexibility. Now, however, nobody has the knowledge to retune the TV and it's considered it could be a TV fault anyway.

If we're going to purchase a new TV then we may as well think possibly Freeview enabled.

OK, here are a few questions to get us started:

1. Are the channels on Freeview the same as those one would get on Freesat?

2. Has anyone yet found a good and reliable way to record programmes in our absence as a totally blind person with either of these two alternatives?

3.    How good is the freeview coverage across the country these days?

4. How high does the dish need to be seated (generally) for good reception using Freesat? (We only have a bungalow, so no second floor ...)

Any help on the above would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Carol P