[access-uk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Itunes etc.

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:45:13 +0100

Apologies, I did say it was my understanding. I don't personally use iTunes Match due to it using a lossy format but more importantly, the fact that it matches by track and not album. This latter point means you can end up with an album made up of tracks taken from other albums, for example, a version of a track taken from a compilation album and not the original studio album. This can result in the volume levels being inconsistent when listening to the album start to finish or it may be a slightly different version of the track to the original album track due to it being taken from a remastered or remixed album.

I can appreciate the above doesn't matter to the 80% of shuffle loving lossy can't hear the difference casual listeners, but it is important to serious music lovers.

Having said all of that, I'm sure I have read that you can't stream iTunes music in the cloud on a portable device without downloading first to the device. This is what gives the Amazon Music app an advantage as you can stream from the Amazon cloud as well as playing from the device including being able to play music in your iTunes library. -----Original Message----- From: Iain Lackie
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 9:09 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bulk] [access-uk] Re: [Bulk] Itunes etc.

This is completely incorrect. If you have tracks which are greyed, It means they have not yet been uploaded and so cannot be played or downloaded. If you have a lot of tracks to be matched, you have to allow sufficient time for your library to be matched. You may have to go into iTunes and update iTunes Match so that the match process can be completed.

Iain

On 29 Aug 2014, at 08:28 pm, "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi BJ.

If you're using Itunes Match then the music is stored in the cloud and you have to download it to a device to play it as it doesn't support streaming.

That's my understanding of Itunes Match and I assume the greyed out tracks are in the cloud and not yet downloaded to your device.

Regards.

Kevin

-----Original Message----- From: BJ Edwards
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 6:18 PM
To: access-uk
Subject: [Bulk] [access-uk] Itunes etc.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue...

I have Itunes on my laptop, I have "Match" and "Home sharing" enabled.
Like magic I can see all my music on both my Apple TV and my Iphone.
However, only the music I downloaded from Itunes plays, the rest of it
(the vast majority) is greyed out and won't play. Any advice welcome!

Thanks,

BJ

--
My homepage:
www.bjedwards.co.uk

My fiction:
www.authorsden.com/bjedwards

My articles:
www.meddryn.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter for updates, comment, thoughts and links:
@Meddryn

Many thanks,

BJ Edwards