[access-uk] Am I correct in thinking that people from the UK can not use bookshare.org?

  • From: "Alexander Shannon" <alexacts2v4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:56:47 +0100

Hi all,

on a thread I started regarding transcribing books into Braille, I talked in my message about a problem I was having in getting a book by the author Dick Francis, in grade two Braille.

"but today I
wanted to see if the book Break in,  by Dick Francis was available in
Braille.

I initially contacted the NLb to see if they had a Braille copy, but was
told that they did not, neither did the CNIB with whom the NLB have an
arrangement. I was however told that the NLB have a reader request scheme.
Is this what was discussed on In Touch?

I also contacted the RNIB but they did not have a Braille copy of this book
in their Braille library which implies that there is not a single copy of
this book in Braille in the UK"

My point I was making in the above paragraph is that if the sequels to Brake IN, namely Wiphand and Bolt, are available from the NLB in Braille, why is brake IN not available in the same format from any UK supplier of Braille library books?

Which then brings me to the reason for this message. Assuming that I can not obtain a Braille copy of the book mentioned in the above paragraphs in he UK, is it possible and legal for someone in the UK to obtain a copy of a book by a British Author that has been made available to the visually Impaired in the USA via bookshare?

Alexander Shannon