[access-uk] Re: Am I correct in thinking that people from the UK can not use bookshare.org?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:17:38 +0100

In short Alex, No.  Bookshare is, for the most part, available to US citizens
only - maybe those in Canda too, but not outside North America.

There is at least one exception, namely O'reily computer booksand maybe one or
two other series of this sort of technical matter.

From time to time a chorus can be heard singing "Why are we waiting?"  for a
UK version of Bookshare.  Goes without saying, RNIB and no body else is saying
anything about that.

I don't know about your Braille options I'm afraid.  Regarding the question
you were asking about Braille transcription, well, In Touch used to havean
archive which went back a long way, but I don't know where that's located
these days, if its still available that is.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx