[access-uk] Re: Accessible theme and audio vs screenreaders

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:07:50 +0000

Hi Damon,

thanks for your thoughts. Also thanks to the 3 people who replied
off-list and said it works ok. I still don't know if others get a
"soundconflict" though. I thought the media=screen css value would do
it, but my brand new demo install of Jaws 11 quite happily carries on
reading over the top of the audio, before crashing spectacularly.

You asked if it needed to be read. Well, yes. Screenreaders try hard,
but they just can't cope with pronunciation of strange counties. Also,
this method is just an attempt to reduce the spam of those who choose
to be listed - I realise that there are audio scrapers now, but having
3 files chained in this method just means more custom programming for
spammers - not worth it for them.
I actually first got interested in this when a friend from Reading
pointed out a couple of years ago how bad the council's site was. For
example, here's a swimming pool timetable - and just wait until it
gets to the timetable data!
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Speak/cat_684.mp3

I nearly got a gig with them reading the tricky pages, but then the
funding for visually impaired people was withdrawn along with the very
minimal funding for the local audio describers group. Apparently, that
audio satisfies their visual disability requirement. Perhaps it would
surprise no-one that in the same year they couldn't find a couple of
hundred quid for me and a couple of grand to keep audio description
going, they spent £56000 on translating income support leaflets into a
variety of languages and found £2 million of land for a Mosque right
before the local elections. But I digress.

As for other accessible mashups, you're not actually far off there. I
have a couple of ideas in the works! Anything you'd like to see (or
hear, rather?).

PS - You're not being told off! It's just the frustrations on my part
of 2 years experience of "please try this product currently in design
and let me know what you think" ... then silence .. then "Ok, here's
the product" swiftly followed by "I wish the button was square not
round", if that makes sense!