[access-uk] Re: Accessible Podcaseter

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:24:37 +0100

Hi

This 'accessible' thing irritates me. if anyone heard the May edition of Soundings, you will have heard an item about a new program called 'guide', which basically gives you access to some specially-designed talking applications by pressing numbers on your keyboard to select what you want to do. In that feature they were constantly saying 'our software is accessible'. Their website is at www.verbalise.com, look in the 'downloads' section. I'm not sure I like some of their implications about how easy it is to access the Windows operating system with a conventional screen reader.

I know I raised a similar point some time ago relating to Freedom Box, and I now think they've done their bit by explaining exactly what their product can and cannot do, relative to the more established ones, and where it fits in the overall scheme of things. I hope Verbalise will do the same thing.

James