[access-uk] Re: A NETWORKING QUESTION

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:57:11 -0000

I'd just like to further advocate Tris's point on mac address filtering.

For those that dont' know.

Your Mac address is a hardware seriel number. Each networking hardware component will have one, ethernet card, wifi card, router, access point, repeater etc.

You can find the mac address for each of your components by going to command prompt and typing,

ipconfig/all

Copy down the mac address and on your routers setup screns enable mac filtering.

I'm quite anal about security and would apply this even if I was using another wireless security algorithm than WEP. But if you can only use WEP I'd say this is essential. WEP, can be hacked and there are tutorials online showing you how to do so.

Barry
Ðà
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>