[access-uk] Re: 6680 (WasRE: Re: Mobile Phone usablity focus groups)

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:49:47 -0000

Then I'd equally seriously suggest you try before you buy,
Mark.  If I ever see one of those again, I won't be
responsible for what I do with it.

George.

Matthews
> Sent: 14 December 2005 11:31
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] 6680 (WasRE: Re: Mobile Phone
usablity
> focus groups)
>
> Funnily enough George I'm seriously considering upgrading
> one of these babies next April when I'm entitled. Like you
> just use the phone for staying in contact, however I've
heard
> glowing reports regarding stability.
> As you can no doubt appreciate when running a
Screen-reader,
> this is critical. Therefore with this in mind, I'll
probably
> go ahead - unless of course further developments occur in
the

mark.matthews53@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Skype:  MMatthews1981
> Mobile:  07779 147874
> Home Page:  http://www.qsl.net/gw0wgk/

groups

> I know what you mean here.  My wife, wanting to give me an

> early Christmas present, acquired a free upgrade for me to
> Nokia 6680 or something of that ilk.  (I currently have a
Nokia 6310i)

> Now I reckon I'm moderately technologically savvy, but
after
> an hour with this animal, I nearly threw it at the wall.
It
> has now gone back to the Vodaphone shop.  I don't want two

> cameras, I don't want an MP3 player, I don't want......  I

> just want to make and receive telephone calls and
messages.

> So I guess at 58 years of age, and 20-30 years in the
> computer field one way or another, I am well past this new

> generation of technology.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality
> string?  The mice have eaten the original, and made nests
of
> the two tin cans I was using.
>
> George.

is

> > that although it is not true in all cases those 35 and
> under
> > are more likely to be enthused about access to mobile
technology
> > rather than by any kind of unwilling necessity.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Tristram Llewellyn
> > Sight and Sound Technology
> > Technical Support
> > www.sightandsound.co.uk

computer
> users.
> > Telephone Voice:  +44(0)1438 742286, Fax/BBS:
+44(0)1438
> 759589
> > mobile:  +44(0)7956 334938,
> > Email:  Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Web site:  http://www.comproom.co.uk

project
> > detailed below except for a contact has asked me to if I
would post

> > this to the list
> > to give it circulation.  I deem the Access UK list to be
>
> > most apropriate
> > forum for this.  Details are below including contact
information at
> > the bottom.  If you are interested in taking part please
> contact
> > the organisers.
> >
> > Text begins:
> >
> > Are you Interested in taking part in a focus group to
look
> at the
> > accessibility problems of mobile phones for people with
visual or
> > dexterity impairments?
> >
> > Are you between 18 and 35?
> >
> > Are you free on January 9, 11 or 12, 2006?
> >
> > We are looking for both Braille or speech, and large
print
> users!
> >
> > The focus group sessions are being run by Toshiba mobile
> phones, in
> > conjunction with the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre for
the
> Assessment
> > and Cognitive Ergonomics Lab, Virginia Polytechnic
Institute
> and State
> > University USA.
> >
> > The sessions will take place at the Helen Hamlyn
Research Centre,
> > Royal College of Art, Kensington Gore, London SW7 2EU -
tel:
> > 02075904582, contact:
> > Julia Cassim.
> >
> > The sessions are expected to last between 2 and  2.5
> hours,
> > and refreshments
> > will be provided.
> >
> > Participants will also receive a payment of £35 plus
their

> > transportation
> > costs (petrol costs are calculated at 35p per mile.).
> >
> > 1. Participants will first discuss issues regarding
> problems of
> > accessibility of mobile phones, (around 30 minutes).
> >
> > 2. Participants will then be asked to perform 4 tasks on
> phone model
> > provided by Toshiba.  Each task will be followed by
> ratings
> > (on several
> > questionnaire items).
> >
> > 3. The session will close with a group discussion.
> >
> > We would like to videotape the focus groups, but will
> protect
> > confidentiality as per human subject ethical guidelines.
> We
> > need to capture
> > hands and voices.
> >
> > Details on phone models, tasks, etc. cannot be provided
> due
> > to proprietary
> > policies.
> >
> > To get involved, please contact Julia Cassim, a Research
Fellow
> > Programme Leader at the Royal College of Art's Helen
Hamlyn Research

> > Centre before the
> > 16th of December 2005, on 02075904582. You can also send
> fax to
> > 02075904244. Julia's mobile number is 07890489829. Her
> E-mail
> > address is:
> > julia.cassim@xxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Text ends.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Tristram Llewellyn
> > Sight and Sound Technology
> > Technical Support
> > www.sightandsound.co.uk
> >

> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to