[access-uk] Re: 4th Generation Apple Nano

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:01:04 +0100

More accurately you might say that it has the facility to have speech
activated on it.  It will not be activated when you first buy the unit
and nor can you enable it until you have connected it to iTunes and
check the option to have it speak menus in the "summary" tab of iPod
Nano options.

The process of making the menus speak involves assigning tags to menu
items and having them spoken by your default SAPI speech engine which
for Windows users you need to go into the Speech control panel to set.
With this it would for example be possible to use one of the SAPI voices
supplied with Jaws 8.0 and 9.0 to speak your menus.  The process above
stated will use some of your flash memory on the unit.

After this process is complete nearly all the menu functinos will speak
and also artist and song info wil be spoken.  I imagine things that
won't speak wil be clock function and anything to do with the calendar
most likely.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road