[56raf_firebirds] Re: Last night 07/04

  • From: "tim foster" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "silverwings.stickz" for DMARC)
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:19:22 +0100

On 08/04/2021 12:30, Bart (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:

I do cringe at time over target, as that benefits the enemy, but I do
understand why.

yeah my clock starts ticking as soon as we get inside 10km - not sure radius of warning on finnish - sending fighters on ahead makes this worse as such. I made 3 bomb passes, of course at that point phoenix had not even been able to start, so I made 2/3 more taking flak out. 3minutes over target with escort is absolute max, beyond that madness.  I just wanna get in and out asap. Seems to be no stats page for mission so have no idea how long we actually spent there but guess 5+ minutes which is 30km (3 grids) travel time for a fighter.  I suspect that plus having to bisect enemy fields on egress for fighters low on fuel compounded the problem, that and contrails displaying them making it easy to follow.

Having had my pilot oddly jump into a rear seat twice now I know how frustrating it is (especially trying to determine why). I believe its il2 not using  2modifiers (ie cntl+alt+key) so one gets ignored/bypassed.  Just finding which it is - especially as after first time I removed all position selections bar bomb aim and it still happened (of course then there is no way back either).

Second mission, seems phoenix may have overcooled an engine close to target. The target was a bugger to work out which was the target area but we got (some of) it in the end (thanks to cina mainly), and again my brain was screaming too long but got away with it, albeit phoenix came back on one engine at 170mph,  but had used a Northern field - slightly shorter and we all got back(just veeeeery slooowly)

--
if you dont live life on the edge you are taking up too much space

https://www.avg.com