[24hoursupport] Ron/Win XP

  • From: Kit C <kittiecatte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:34:35 -0700 (PDT)

 Look in Tools menu- Folder Options - View and see if you can solve it from
there?

I also hate hate the slowness of a search.  I believe it goes to the net and
that causes the slowness.  I have been experimenting with turning off
"Find-Fast" in the Properties - Advanced and may look further.  It is kind of
like saying you can hike up the mountain faster if you carry more baggage and
call home every minute or two.

I also set my firewall to disallow many of the internet-related things that
everyone (it seems) adds to my software.  It takes some experimentation.

For example, if I have explorer set to forbid certain cookies, it takes extra
time to tell them to go away.  But if I allow them, it keeps talking to all of
them so I'd rather use my RAM to Just Say No.

I also hate the "Help" feature which now goes to the net -- but still does not
answer my questons.

On my soapbox - they also have cookies in several locations and so setting it
to delete them may not get rid of them all.

Sorry, short on time...

Kit

Windows XP Questions

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:02:15 -0500
From: "Ron Allen"
Subject: Windows XP Questions

Hello Group,

A couple of questions for you all regarding Windows XP Professional.

First, is there any way to completely turn off the thumbnailing function in
Explorer? I have had it turned off in my normal image storage directories,
but starting tonight for some reason some of the folders are again
automatically creating thumbnails. I have image viewing and cataloging
software that does a much better job and don't want or need thumbnails in
Explorer just wasting disk storage space.

Second, does anyone else have problems with the search function in Windows
Explorer? I find that it is unbearably slow and more often than not causes
Explorer to stop responding. I have a P3 1GHz with 256MB RAM, so it should
be relatively speedy, and under no circumstances should doing a search
crash Explorer. Bugs in Explorer, or something specific to my machine?

Thanks for any help.

Ron

End of 24hoursupport Digest V1 #19
Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at