[24hoursupport] Restart problem

  • From: "Bruce" <bdcbbq2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:43:30 -0500

I'm using W98. PII, 350.

Recently when I have restarted my computer I get a black screen with the
following on it:

<<>>

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
application.

The Windows registry or System.INI file refers to this device file, but the
device no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

C:\Progra~1\carbon~1\ccww32.vxd
Press key to continue

<<>>

When this happens the computer seems to run like it is "not responding" or
in neutral.

I usually get around this the past couple of times by going into display
properties, settings. It is usually at 16 bit, try to restart, set at  24
and restart again.

I also did a system restore a few weeks before this started happening.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Bruce Cook
mailto:bdcbbq1@xxxxxxxxx