[24hoursupport] Re: Diabling Windows Capture Events

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:49:05 -0500

Hello Jim,

>I built a small personal web site some time back which contained
>photographs.  At that time I included a small java script file I had found
>that disabled windows capture events.  That script is obviously now
>defunct with Windows XP.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Go look at
http://www.planet-source-code.com in the HTML or Java Script sections and I
believe there are some examples there. I doubt very much, though, if there
are any Java scripts there that have been updated to disable the IE 6
roll-over options panel. And naturally if someone doesn't install Java to
start with, then the script won't do anything (this was always the case, of
course).

I don't have an answer for you, at least not the answer you're looking for,
but I do want to point out that those no-right-click scripts are basically
useless anyway. Any images viewed in the browser are then in the browser's
cache, and can be easily viewed and extracted and saved as a regularly
named image file regardless. The most those kinds of scripts do is to shut
out those who don't have enough experience of the web to know how to do it.
There are numerous cache tools readily available for free to easily do just
what I've described. At least one major graphics program, CompuPic, will
allow images in the cache to be viewed, saved, etc. directly without even
needing to use any other tool -- the person just needs to know enough to
look in the cache and where the cache files are located.

As far as I know, there has never been any way of completely blocking the
kind of actions you're trying to prevent. It seems to me that the people
least likely to want to steal your images are mostly the same people who
wouldn't know how to get around the script, and the people who would steal
your images probably are the people who know enough about what they're
doing to get them regardless.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at