[24hoursupport] Rebuild/NIC solutions and thank you

  • From: Kit C <kittiecatte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:02:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you, again, Ron.  I think our hub serves as what you call "router"  It
has been frustrating to be the training ground for local techs on our system
because they have not sufficiently explained things to me.  Therefore, I may
have one machine hooked up and running, (or 2 or 3 even) but next time I don't
understand things well enough to know where the glitches are when I change or
upgrade machines.  Trial and error is tedious.  So it helps a lot to know what
NOT to bother with.  It looks to me like the gateway machine is at the phone
company or else the DSL modem serves as the gateway.

I did set up internet connection sharing in order to use my home network.  It
was after that that the whole thing worked.  I am going to try to learn more
still so next time someone else asks, perhaps I can be some help too!

Another problem I discovered was the fact that during my loading of programs
onto the reformatted HD, errors would cause a loss of data; once it impaired
the registry.  Although Windows repaired it, it used an older version and I
lost data once again.  So some things had to be reinstalled or setting re-set.
It did not always tell me this.

So my word to the wise when setting up a new/rebuilt system, is to go ahead and
restart every time it asks if you want to, right away, so the loss of data is
small if it does freeze up at some point in that process.  And the second
thing, is to go in and recheck your settings again in case it did not save them
for some reason.  It is a pain, but better than fixing something else that
ain't broke.  So that is what finally worked for me.

  ;-)

Thanks again,

Kit

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 14:16:11 -0500
From: "Ron Allen"
Subject: Re: NIC Gateway or Router (Ron)

Hi Kit,

>Thanks. I suspect the problem lies in me not understanding things (e.g.
>what you just asked me! ;-)

No problem :) I'm not a real networking genius myself.

There are basically two ways you can connect to a cable/DSL line with
multiple computers.

First, one machine on the network can act as the gateway to the Internet
with all other machines on the network connecting through that machine.
This is how Internet Connection Sharing is (usually) set up. In this
arrangement, the Internet line goes directly to a network card (NIC) on one
machine. That machine has at least one other NIC through which the rest of
the internal network is connected.

Second, you can have an Internet router, which is a separate box with
several network connectors. The Internet connection goes to the router, and
each computer on the network is also connected to the router (which also
acts as a network hub). In effect, each machine on the network is connected
directly to the Internet through the router instead of through a gateway
machine.

Now, setup using a router is normally so easy and simple as to be
ridiculous :) You just plug it all in and turn it on and you're good to go.
At least, that's how it has worked for me and many others. There can be
various problems, but it's normally just that easy.

Setting up a gateway machine using Internet Connection Sharing or some
other proxy service is normally quite a bit trickier. The Microsoft Wizard
can work great, but frequently it doesn't and then you have a lot of
nit-picky troubleshooting and tracking to do to get it to work.

>I have a PairGain MegaBit 600F (DSL) Modem and have to input a Gateway
>number when I set up. But it is not the number of any of my own
>computers, which have to have their own separate IP addresses. I have had
>to specify IP addresses. The local tech support helped me and I was one of
>their early customers so we figured it out together. Once, there was a
>conflict with one of their company's IP addresses, but I am not getting
>that error message this time.

It sounds to me like you have elements of both of the above scenarios in
the mix. My personal experience is with cable, not DSL, which may be the
difference. I may be wrong, but it sounds like your DSL modem is acting
like the gateway, but does not provide DNS or DHCP services (an actual
router provides these services and automatically assigns IP addresses to
the machines on your internal network).

I just saw that you now have everything working! Great! I'm going to go
ahead and send this anyway, for whatever this information may be worth :)

Ron

End of 24hoursupport Digest V1 #16
Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at