[24hoursupport] Re: READ ONLY FILE

  • From: GaryLetC@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:24:58 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/02 2:33:36 AM Central Daylight Time, MATLIN@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Tried it - - no dice.
>  When I try to drag and drop it to my desktop it say it can not move it -
may
>  be in use (it isn't)
>  still says access denied - read only file, even though in properties it
says
>  archive (still on floppy).
>  If I could get to dos (with ME it's a bitch) does anyone still remember dos
>  commands for changing attributes or is there a dos program that would help
>  me?
>  Very frustrating.

    Yeah, if the file is actively being used, by a program or
Windows, you can't change the attribute. In DOS, the command
to change it is the "attrib" command (attrib -r [filename]), but it
will have to be "real DOS"---not a DOS window while running
Windows. You seem to know that. Good luck getting into
DOS with ME. If you know what program is using that file,
you can shut it down, then change the attribute with the
Windows method, but if Windows, itself is using it, that
won't work. Gary
Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at