[24hoursupport] Cloning a hard drive

  • From: "William B. Lurie" <billurie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Twenty-four hour support <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:40:56 -0500

I've been experimenting for quite a while, trying to
find a reliable, reproducible procedure for making an
exact copy of the full XP and everything that is in the
"Master" partition on my hard drive. I want a duplicate
that I can just plug in, when my main drive fails.

I have Partition Magic 8 and Drive Image 7........and
I have no trouble making a copy which boots as HDD-1
when I change my BIOS. But when I try the copy as a
stand-alone, setting BIOS back to HDD-0, it does not
boot past the light blue Windows screen.

I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who has a detailed,
step-by-step procedure, using the software I mentioned,
which he or she has found to work every time, and give a
clone which is indistinguishable from the original.

Thanks.
                   William B. Lurie