[24hoursupport] Re: Cloning a hard drive

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:47:38 -0800

Hi William,
I used Partition Magic 8 yesterday to resize the partitions on my 80gig hard
drive running XP pro.
They seem to have worked.

I backed up my C drive 10gig to my G drive partition 40 gig using Drive
Image 7
I then created another image set to DVD and tested it afterwards to make
sure it was bootable.
The BIOS must be set to boot from CD/DVD

When I did the Images before from one drive to the other, I used Drive Copy
to clone drive one to drive two..
I notice in the Drive Image 7 options there is an option to copy the drive
to another, have you tried that?

When cloneing drives I found I had to remove the clone or the computer would
not know which drive to boot from.
Whichever drive installed would be bootable.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 11/8/2004 at 6:40 AM William B. Lurie wrote:

I've been experimenting for quite a while, trying to
find a reliable, reproducible procedure for making an
exact copy of the full XP and everything that is in the
"Master" partition on my hard drive. I want a duplicate
that I can just plug in, when my main drive fails.

I have Partition Magic 8 and Drive Image 7........and
I have no trouble making a copy which boots as HDD-1
when I change my BIOS. But when I try the copy as a
stand-alone, setting BIOS back to HDD-0, it does not
boot past the light blue Windows screen.

I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who has a detailed,
step-by-step procedure, using the software I mentioned,
which he or she has found to work every time, and give a
clone which is indistinguishable from the original.

Thanks.
                   William B. Lurie