[gmpi] GMNPI and video

  • From: Marcus Clements <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:37:22 +0000

Koen,

check out Freeframe - Open source, cross platform, real-time video effects plugin API.
http://www.freeframe.org
version 0.5 is ready which is our first stab at a cross-platform real-time video plugin architecture. We will be incorporating audio, possibly in version 1. A long-term goal of this project is to provide a framework for audio-visual plugins where control messages from the host can alter audio and video parameters simultaneously. There are a lot of analogs in the two domains, (gain=brightness for example) whcih is exciting new ground for a/v artists.

In the first instance we may allow Freeframe plugins to instantiate audio plugins (VST, DirectX, LADSPA) and control their parameters.

As GMPI is defined in this group we will be keen to follow with the audio part of Freeframe with a view to being 100% compatible when GMPI matures. I would be very keen to ensure that any GMPI compatible plugin will work in any app supporting Freeframe as an audio only plugin. Similarly any Freeframe plugin to work in a GMPI app provided the plug has audio only functionality. If both 'standards' are open source then they will be effectively extensions of each other.

Marcus Clements